Author Topic: "Once again, I am asking for your help"..... Youth Air Rifle  (Read 1838 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: "Once again, I am asking for your help"..... Youth Air Rifle
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »
What has to be done to make the trigger better?

There's apparently some springs that can be lightened, and a couple of metal mating surfaces that can be stoned to smooth the pull.

I shot it at an apple from 10 yards the other day just to see if a) the sights were anywhere close to accurate and b) what the trigger was like.  It's slightly on the heavy side, around 5.5 lbs would be my guess. It is fairly decent accuracy wise, but we haven't had the time to sit and start practicing yet.  But she can pull the trigger, and it's much more her size than my big Crosman springer.  So we'll probably be starting to shoot in the back yard with a big tree with thick bark as a backstop (lead pellets). 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
Fun targets are a must. No paper. I bought some of the self sealing rubber targets that look like clay pigeons, knocking them down is a lot more exciting than unching paper.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »
It's a lot louder than you'd expect.  Sorry, I don't have anything to compare it too.  About what I imagine a suppressed .22 rifle shooting subsonic ammo would be.
.22 LR subsonic through a suppressor is damn near no sound.  The hammer strike was on my bolt action 22 seems loud once I put a suppressor on it.  Supersonic ammo just has that supersonic crack going down range.  

I ask about the air rifles because I have heard some designs are louder than others.  I think it was the piston or spring action guns that were louder.  The compressor air types were quieter.  I could be wrong on that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
.22 LR subsonic through a suppressor is damn near no sound.  The hammer strike was on my bolt action 22 seems loud once I put a suppressor on it.  Supersonic ammo just has that supersonic crack going down range.  

I ask about the air rifles because I have heard some designs are louder than others.  I think it was the piston or spring action guns that were louder.  The compressor air types were quieter.  I could be wrong on that.

The spring piston guns are pretty loud, but it doesn't sound like a firearm.  (it might if you put too much oil in them)  Maybe a .22 subsonic with a defective suppressor then :D  The pump-up pneumatic guns are a lot quieter.  But that's just a sample of 2.  The springers will also ruin a scope unless it's specially made for them because although the recoil is minimal, it is a very fast impulse in the wrong direction.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 03:24:48 PM »
I was too small to cock my first Daisy lever.  I had to put the muzzle on my shoe and lay into the lever.  Named it Betsy.  Naturally.

While our summer house out on Long Island was under construction and was still a shell, my brother and I used to shoot wasps indoors with it when Mom and Pop went into town.  Sure enough, we pinked the big picture window in the living room.  Down near the bottom.  Hardly noticeable, but you know how that little cone of glass gets knocked out on the opposite side of where a BB hits it?

Well, when my father discovered the little hole, he took a close look at the cone-shaped hole.  We told him some kids driving by had shot the window.

But the next day there he was with Betsy shooting at some bottles and got pretty POed when he discovered the little cones of glass fell into the bottles, thereby proving the shot had to have come from inside the house.

<video clip of MGM lion here>

In later decades, with the blurring of memories, my brother and I could not agree on who had actually fired the shot.  He said it was him, I thought for sure it was me.

Brotherly mutual protection, I guess.  But we both got hell for it anyhow.

"Those two kids..."

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
We used to shoot mud daubers around the pond or anywhere there was mud alongside the water.  One time I was able to use a pump up rifle to knock a wasp nest off the house.  We had vinyl siding and I was able to bounce a couple off the siding to knock the next out and off the house.  Went through a lot of BB's trying to make that shot.  I doubt my parents would have appreciated my marksmanship.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge