Author Topic: Scored a new rifle!  (Read 1560 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Scored a new rifle!
« on: September 03, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
Today I saw the local Walmart sporting goods department manager carrying a boxed rifle.  Asked her if she'd made a sale, she said no, this was one of the rifles that had been on clearance - she'd set it aside because it came in without a magazine.  "Hummm", I said to myself, "those discounted rifles were pretty good deals".  She then said it was going out on display for sale - for $54!

I didn't even ask what it was, simply called SWMBO (while following the DM) and told her I was going to spend ~$60.

About a half hour later, I walked out the door with a NIB Remington 770 in 30-06 for $58 & change!  Blued w/synthetic stock, 22" barrel, 3-9x40 scope.

CTD is a little over-priced on it: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/remington-model-770-bolt-action-rifle-.30-06-springfield-22-barrel-4-rounds-synthetic-stock-with-3-9x40-riflescope-blued-finish-85633/FC-047700856339.html  

I'll have to spend a few dollars on it; sling & swivels, magazines, ammo.  Those will probably cost more than the rifle!  Or, maybe I'll sell it and make a couple $$.  Then again, I do want something with a bit more range than the 30-30....  Or trade if for a decent duck gun....  Decisions, decisions.

I've never shot a scoped rifle.  Well, I tried with a cheap ass scope on a .22, pulled it off and went back to the iron sights.  Hell, I'm not even sure about the whole eye relief thing - holding this one the way I'd shoot it puts the scope ~2" from my glasses.  Too close?  Too far away?  Will I be buying a new set of glasses after the first shot?  Or wearing a new, permanent contact lens?

ETA:  Where's a good place for mags?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Scored a new rifle!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »
Start on eBay for magazines.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »
Mind blown.

Is Joe Biden the one that came out against magazines that hold multiple cartridges? He might pay you good money for that gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
I did start on eBay, but found I don't know enough yet.  There are two types of mag listed, short action and long action.  I don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
I might be willing to give it to Biden.  Without a front sight it'd start easier...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »
Brownells or Midwayusa.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:57:47 PM »
Fantastic purchase, congratulations!    :cool:

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:01:58 PM »
I did start on eBay, but found I don't know enough yet.  There are two types of mag listed, short action and long action.  I don't have a clue what they're talking about.

I don't know a ton but short action vs long action is a generic division between physically shorter cartridges like .243 and .308 and longer cartridges like .30-06, 7mm Mag, and .300 Win Mag.  It looks like the mags are interchangeable caliber wise as long as you get the right length.  In your case with .30-06, a long action magazine would be the ticket.

Here's a more detailed article:
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/group/blog/boyds-blog/2018/09/10/short-action-vs-long-action---choosing-the-correct-stock

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »

What I read is with Remington 770, .30-06 is a long action. Damn, mags are cheap for that rifle. .338 win mag mags for my Tiikka are close to $60.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »
I don't know a ton but short action vs long action is a generic division between physically shorter cartridges like .243 and .308 and longer cartridges like .30-06, 7mm Mag, and .300 Win Mag.  It looks like the mags are interchangeable caliber wise as long as you get the right length.  In your case with .30-06, a long action magazine would be the ticket.

Here's a more detailed article:
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/group/blog/boyds-blog/2018/09/10/short-action-vs-long-action---choosing-the-correct-stock

What I read is with Remington 770, .30-06 is a long action. Damn, mags are cheap for that rifle. .338 win mag mags for my Tiikka are close to $60.

Thanks gents! 

The mags are cheap.  Saw some for <$20 with free shipping. 

Unfortunately, I'm only seeing 3 or 4 round mags.  Might have to get a couple and see if they can't be modded to hold more.  Springs would be the hard part, I'm thinking.  Not that I'm looking for 30 rounds or anything, but maybe 6 or 7.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:48 PM »
Thanks gents! 

The mags are cheap.  Saw some for <$20 with free shipping. 

Unfortunately, I'm only seeing 3 or 4 round mags.  Might have to get a couple and see if they can't be modded to hold more.  Springs would be the hard part, I'm thinking.  Not that I'm looking for 30 rounds or anything, but maybe 6 or 7.

It's a budget hunting rifle, you're probably not going to find anything more than 4 rounds.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 10:54:51 PM »
Messing around with a couple mags would give me something to do when the dogs want to go out at 2am.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »
I hope you get your money's worth out of it. 

???

Okay, I hope you do better than that.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »

About a half hour later, I walked out the door with a NIB Remington 770 in 30-06 for $58 & change!

You suck and the world hates you.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:53:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »

Brad

I would of bought it for gunshow trading material. Probably easily doubled or tripled my money after a magazine purchase. The rifle itself (and scope)is too budget line for the hunting/shooting I do.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »

Brad

What he said.

You did score with that rifle, no matter what you finally end up doing with it.  Congrats!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »
Wrote Remington last night about the missing mag.  Their reply asked for my shipping info & the serial number - they're going to send a mag! :D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 12:58:09 AM »
That is awesome, Cliff, especially in a gun market like this one!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
I would of bought it for gunshow trading material. Probably easily doubled or tripled my money after a magazine purchase. The rifle itself (and scope)is too budget line for the hunting/shooting I do.

Yeah, you're just jealous  :P

Seriously, in today's market I could probably triple my money.  I wasn't saying this is a 1/2 MOA @ 3,000 yd gun.  I am saying I got one hell of a deal.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 09:32:35 PM »
Yeah, you're just jealous  :P

Seriously, in today's market I could probably triple my money.  I wasn't saying this is a 1/2 MOA @ 3,000 yd gun.  I am saying I got one hell of a deal.

Actually I am, I would snapped that right up.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 10:29:19 PM »
I know a lot of folks that benefited when Walmart decided to get rid of their rifles.  Several went for mid $50’s here and were gone in hours.  I didn’t know about it before it was too late. 

Congrats on your purchase.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 10:35:38 PM »
I know a lot of folks that benefited when Walmart decided to get rid of their rifles.  Several went for mid $50’s here and were gone in hours.  I didn’t know about it before it was too late. 
Yeah, I saw pictures of truck beds loaded down with 'em.  Would have been nice to score a few!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »
Folks here were civil about it, nobody bought more than 3.  There were only about 14 total, took less than 3 hours to go through all of them - except for mine, which had been held back because of the missing mag.