Author Topic: Honesty Around the World  (Read 874 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Honesty Around the World
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »
This was an interesting study. Researchers dropped 17,000 wallets with money and items in them on streets around the world. Reporting rates are listed at the link, and the overall honesty was somewhat refreshing.

It was interesting that the higher amounts of money in the wallet increased reporting rate in many countries. I'm wondering if that's related to effort. If someone sees a wallet with no, or little money in it, is it too much trouble for them to track down the owner?

I was surprised that China was at the bottom of the list. I would have thought both culture and authoritarianism would have placed them higher, out of fear if not virtue.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6448/70

As an aside, I found it funny that the researchers were worried about crossing various borders with backpacks full of wallets.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
Re: Honesty Around the World
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
Very interesting!

Look at all the "high social trust" countries clustered around the right side of the graph:

I'm not surprised about China.  I've heard Chinese business practices are frequently dishonest.  There is no reason to think that would not be the same for regular people.  Communism breeds corrupt ethics also.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »

Look at all the "high social trust" countries clustered around the right side of the graph:

Yeah, I was wondering why they left Finland out. I'd be interested to see if it fits in with the rest or would be an outlier.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
I am also unsurprised by China.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Hmmm, Western Civilization, high social trust, homogeneous cultures and demographics all seem to be attributes at the top of the list.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »
There were only two countries where they were not more likely to return the wallet when there was cash in it versus when it had little/no cash in it. Mexico and Peru.

(Also, they were very unlikely to return it under any circumstances but that's an interesting data point, as well.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »
Couple of years ago I found a wallet in the supermarket parking lot - since the owner's DL, CCs and other IDs were in it, I was able to return the wallet (and all its contents) to the owner. It simply was the right thing to do.

I've never been lucky enough to find a substantial amount of money with no associated ID.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »
I always return it. Sometimes I even get a thank you. ;/ 500 euros, few hundred bucks, drivers license, military ID, credit cards etc and a thank you is too much. I got an iPhone back to the rich liberal charity ceo that owned it by mining lock screen enabled Siri for info. He was appreciative at least.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
I don't see Japan on that list.  Back when I was employed by a Japanese company and traveling to Japan for business, we had been told in our cultural training that lost wallets commonly found their way back to their owners.  I wonder where Japan would fit on that list?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
I don't see Japan on that list.  Back when I was employed by a Japanese company and traveling to Japan for business, we had been told in our cultural training that lost wallets commonly found their way back to their owners.  I wonder where Japan would fit on that list?

Very, very high I am sure.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
I was surprised that India ranked as high as it did. Candidly, I expected worse.

And I don't see Pakistan on the list. Or Nigeria.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »
Did they try this where they were sure there would be a lot of legislators passing by?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.