Author Topic: Derek Chauvin - Tax Evasion  (Read 458 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Derek Chauvin - Tax Evasion
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »
Apparently Derek Chauvin and his wife are being tried for tax evasion. First I've heard of it. Regardless of his guilt or innocence regarding Floyd, it always scares me a little when I see ancillary charges like this after the fact that are unrelated to what someone was originally arrested for. Where was the IRS during the years of this tax evasion? Which in many ways, sounds like the under-reporting that people do every year to reduce their taxes.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/derek-chauvin-makes-first-court-appearance-tax-evasion-charges
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Derek Chauvin - Tax Evasion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
They said he owed just over $20K.  Wouldn't that normally just be a case of "sign this agreement to pay all the back taxes and penalties"? 

I saw a comment that the state AG was trying to destroy his ability to defend against the murder charges.  Knowing politicians these days, I would count that as plausible. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge