Author Topic: Western Oregon is on fire  (Read 4469 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Western Oregon is on fire
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
If true what benefit could they possibly get from setting these fires?

Anybody who is opposed to them won't change their minds and embrace them, and anyone on the fence will be appalled and go the other way. It might even drive away current supporters.

Plus it would give Trump even more reason to crack down on them, and shame any state or local leadership who stood in his way.

This seems to be a straight-up losing move for them.

We know a lot of them are deranged idiots but this idea is so bad I don't see it getting approved by the smarter ones who direct and herd the idiots.

These people are not interested in swaying public opinion to their way of thinking.  They are out to destroy as much as possible.  I suspect most antifa members would consider themselves anarchists.  Their goals are disruption and destruction.  They're not interested in replacing existing systems, only tearing them down. 

And I don't think those nominally in charge have any actual control of what has become in my mind "the mob."  If there is anyone that thinks they're in control of this "movement" they're delusional. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
So .... people are being arrested for things no one did .... ? ? ?.... [popcorn] [tinfoil]    ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »
There's something to this notion after all:

Antifi/BLM terrorist arrested for arson in Washington State.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/09/antifa-radical-arrested-arson-washington-state-caught-highway-setting-fire-lighter/

scorched earth warfare
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 06:43:50 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/oregon-officials-squash-rumors-that-far-right-far-left-are-setting-the-fires-ravaging-the-state/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0MjVDop8k2d0t3M7dpjzKd70qskds5G0NwR3AKPw31ysZRX5fKnE4WD74#Echobox=1599798364

No evidence of right wing or left wing starting the fires.
There has been arson in Oregon and Washington regardless of political motivation.

All the fires are probably not arson, but I think we can agree that arson isn't helping the situation.

All the reports I've seen regarding political motivation and arson involve Antifa, who happen to be really active in the area lighting stuff in cities on fire.

Believing Oregon or Washington officials to offer an unbiased opinion might be a bit naive considering the destruction they are encouraging in their own major cities.

https://www.yaktrinews.com/eastern-washington-woman-arrested-for-starting-fires-while-crews-worked-to-fix-fallen-power-lines/
https://www.khq.com/news/arson-suspect-arrested-after-allegedly-starting-multiple-fires-in-spokane-on-monday/article_62df8a40-f223-11ea-8a02-af6f5dca5965.html
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/man-arrested-on-arson-allegation-in-wildfire-west-of-eugene-deputies-say.html
https://nbc16.com/news/local/man-seen-starting-fires-at-oregon-state-park-local-fire-chief-says
https://kion546.com/news/2020/09/07/woman-accused-of-intentionally-starting-fires-on-highway-101-arrested/
https://kutv.com/news/local/suspected-arson-on-the-manti-la-sal-national-forest
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:52:33 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
My wife's friend from Oregon just left from a visit to our house.

She told us a friend of hers saw "antifa" lighting hay bales on fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
It is starting to look like fecesbook is actively suppressing first hand accounts of either attemtped arson or arson in rural areas of Clackamas county.   There was a video account I had posted of a woman whose husband had witnessed people attempting to or succeeding in lighting some large hay bales on fire in the Marquam area of hwy 213 (about 5 minutes from where my inlaws live, and west of the active fire lines).  That video has now been deleted - again.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »
If this is politically-motivated arson where are the statements claiming responsibility and threats to continue unless some set of demands are met?

One guy does not a make for a co-ordinated effort. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
If this is politically-motivated arson where are the statements claiming responsibility and threats to continue unless some set of demands are met?

One guy does not a make for a co-ordinated effort.

Individuals in antifa, and antifa as a movement, have not been claiming responsibility for any of their actions.  They are attempting to maintain the fiction of there being no real central organization or leadership.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
The Alex Jones crowd thinks it’s satellite lasers setting the fires. Sweet zombie Jesus these people are *expletive deleted*ing stupid.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
The Alex Jones crowd thinks it’s satellite lasers setting the fires. Sweet zombie Jesus these people are *expletive deleted*ing stupid.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
The smoke from the west coast is supposed to arrive in central Minnesota today.  I'm in the southern part of the state and it looks farther north on the radar
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »
It's like a leatherman to antifa. Multiple uses.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
We were supposed to have bright sunny, perfectly blue sky today.  You could see the sun, but the sky was a hazy white color and the temp which was supposed to get to 70 degrees, topped out around 60.  WeatherChick said the haze was smoke from the fires.

Reports say 35 people have died.  Are there any reports as to why they were killed.  It seems to me that with these huge fires, even though they move fast, there should be enough warning so people can leave.  I am puzzled by this.  Are some folks just magnificently stupid and refuse to evacuate?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 09:28:37 PM »
Reports say 35 people have died.  Are there any reports as to why they were killed.  It seems to me that with these huge fires, even though they move fast, there should be enough warning so people can leave.  I am puzzled by this.  Are some folks just magnificently stupid and refuse to evacuate?

Pretty much.  Or they underestimate the speed at which the fire approaches.

We had to evacuate from our home for a couple of weeks due to fire in late August. There was an elderly gentlemen several miles north of us who thought he could make it to his truck when he saw the flames approaching.  He was wrong.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
A bit of thread veer, but interesting. Who knows how accurate the reporting is, but it sounds to me like this may be a large enough area where all the neighbors DO NOT  know each other. If I happened to be going back to my home to save more stuff from burning and hit an armed road block, I don't know that my first thought would be "conscientious neighbors". I might be worried that they are the looters these groups are looking to stop, and might prepare to defend myself against a carjacking.

I applaud people protecting their property, and I'm generally a "looters should be shot" kinda guy, but this does give me food for thought regarding who is identifying who as a looter.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-wildfire-drivers-gunpoint-armed-looters
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
It would be poetic justice if a few looters got burned up. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 02:04:22 PM »
It would be poetic justice if a few looters got burned up. [popcorn]

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 02:15:24 AM »
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/12/four-arrested-for-arson-on-the-west-coast-one-a-regular-attendee-of-anti-cop-rallies-in-seattle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+breitbart+%28Breitbart+News%29

Just a coincidence.

The news comes as Democrat politicians continue to blame the fires across the region on climate change. Politicians, such as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), are largely using the devastation to push for a Green New Deal but continue to ignore the reality of poor forest management and environmentalist policies that contribute to the massive wildfires, such as putting an emphasis on “fire suppression” rather than prescribed burning.

There's a YouTube channel run by an American Airlines pilot named Juan Browne, called the Blancolirio Channel. Juan was, at one time, a pilot for the aerial firefighting service. Although he mostly posts on aviation topics, recently he has been posting about the fires in northern California (where he lives) and the efforts to fight them. He has attributed at least one, and I think two, of the largest fires to lightning strikes. And this brings us right back to Trump's position that the fires are made worse by poor forestry management. Undergrowth and deadwood aren't cleared out, so they provide lots of dry fuel for any fires that do start.

Many, many years ago I went to Germany on my honeymoon. One of the things I still remember was noticing that the forests didn't have anything on the ground. There were trees -- and that's all there was. No dead branches, no fallen trees -- nada, rien, zilch. Solo los arboles.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:58:38 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
Trump has great instincts.

Instead of getting lost in the weeds of arson/no arson he goes for the jugular vein and avoids the distractions.

It's not climate change and it's not arson although both may be a part.

It's decades of fire suppression and poor forest management.