Author Topic: JB Weld question  (Read 757 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
JB Weld question
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:49:19 AM »
How thick can JB Weld be built up in one lift/pass?

I have a cylindrical thingie that I need to fill with something metallic(ish). Length about 1-1/4", diameter -- well, okay it's not exactly a cylinder -- about 1/2" x 3/4". Can I just mix up the goop and ladle it in, or does JB Weld need thin layers to cure properly? The instructions don't seem to address that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
Re: JB Weld question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:14:01 AM »
I've used it to fill gaps maybe a 1/4 inch or so and had no problems.  3/4 seems reasonable to me, but I don't know what they recommend.  Any strength required or is it just fill?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »
I contacted the JB Weld company with a question about my own epoxy application a few months back, and they got back to me within a few hours. I suggest you contact them.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:00 PM »
I've used it to fill gaps maybe a 1/4 inch or so and had no problems.  3/4 seems reasonable to me, but I don't know what they recommend.  Any strength required or is it just fill?

Just volume fill.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »

I would think the catalyst you mix it with will cure it under a thick layer regardless of exposure to air.

Sort of like concrete curing at the bottom of a deep pour, no?  "Curing" does not necessarily mean "drying."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »
^^^ What he said.

The only thing you'd have to worry about would be the heat generated by the curing process*, and I doubt that would be an issue because the area you're talking about really isn't that big at all.

*The Hoover Dam was done in a series of hundreds of interlocking block pours because of the heat generated by the curing process. Had it been attempted as one continuous pour it would have taken several hundred years to actually finish curing/cooling (it likely would have failed first due to the intense heat generated by the curing process).  

Ah, here's an article that talks about what they did do with the Hoover Dam to dissapate the heat generated by the curing process.

http://concretecontractor.com/concrete-construction-projects/hoover-dam/#:~:text=In%20this%20way%2C%20the%20dam%20was%20poured%20into,begin%20channeling%20the%20Colorado%20River%20towards%20the%20dam.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
I contacted the JB Weld company with a question about my own epoxy application a few months back, and they got back to me within a few hours. I suggest you contact them.

I submitted an inquiry, and they responded much faster than I expected. The answer is that I can fill it in one pass, but it will take longer to cure. That's not a problem in this case.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
^^^ What he said.

The only thing you'd have to worry about would be the heat generated by the curing process*, and I doubt that would be an issue because the area you're talking about really isn't that big at all.

*The Hoover Dam was done in a series of hundreds of interlocking block pours because of the heat generated by the curing process. Had it been attempted as one continuous pour it would have taken several hundred years to actually finish curing/cooling (it likely would have failed first due to the intense heat generated by the curing process).  

Ah, here's an article that talks about what they did do with the Hoover Dam to dissapate the heat generated by the curing process.

http://concretecontractor.com/concrete-construction-projects/hoover-dam/#:~:text=In%20this%20way%2C%20the%20dam%20was%20poured%20into,begin%20channeling%20the%20Colorado%20River%20towards%20the%20dam.

Yes, heat would be my only concern. The damn dam link is interesting.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.