Author Topic: Replacing the battery on a Kindle...  (Read 2108 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Replacing the battery on a Kindle...
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:00:06 PM »
Years ago I received a Kindle for Christmas, and I love the thing. But, the battery is starting to crap out. It's only taking a partial charge and is discharging WAY fast.

Has anyone ever tried replacing the battery their Kindle?

I've seen some Utoob videos, but I'm just worried about giving it a try.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Replacing the battery on a Kindle...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
If it's from years ago, I would just wait a few months and get another one from Amazon when they do the Christmas specials. You can probably get the same generation or even a newer one for not much more than what a battery will likely cost. I think last year I was seeing them go for as low as $30.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »
I replaced the battery in my Kindle Paperwhite last year.  It was pretty easy to do; the replacement battery came with the tools (tiny Torx driver, etc)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
I identified it as a Kindle 4th or 5th generation based on the serial number.

The battery replacement would be just under $30, which includes the tool kit and the like (probably the same manufacturer as Bob's battery).

I thought about upgrading to one of the ones with the light, but I really like this unit. No, it's not cutting edge, it doesn't have a light, but for some reason I just find it to be about... perfect.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 01:31:40 PM »
I identified it as a Kindle 4th or 5th generation based on the serial number.

The battery replacement would be just under $30, which includes the tool kit and the like (probably the same manufacturer as Bob's battery).

I thought about upgrading to one of the ones with the light, but I really like this unit. No, it's not cutting edge, it doesn't have a light, but for some reason I just find it to be about... perfect.

Well, we're not talking a lot of money either way, so if it's something you like, no reason not to do the battery swap. I did similar with an obsolete Creative Zen a while back, just because I really like it. Supposed to be a non-user replaceable battery, but the third party battery came with tools and a youtube link, and it was pretty easy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
Doing a little digging around I find that I can get one of the ones with a front light, for about $80 if I'm willing to accept ads. I'm generally OK with the ads on the unit I have, and have even gotten a couple of interesting books from the ads. I could get one with Audible e-reader with a 3-month free subscription, but I'd never used that. I've tried multiple times to do books on tape and they just don't work for me. I end up losing concentration and having to backtrack to figure out what I missed.

Going to have to think about this.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
The ads are generally on the startup screen (definitely)  and in the bookshelf (maybe).  I have never seen one within a book.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
No, the ads aren't in the books, at least not on the Kindle that I have.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
Doing a little digging around I find that I can get one of the ones with a front light, for about $80 if I'm willing to accept ads. I'm generally OK with the ads on the unit I have, and have even gotten a couple of interesting books from the ads. I could get one with Audible e-reader with a 3-month free subscription, but I'd never used that. I've tried multiple times to do books on tape and they just don't work for me. I end up losing concentration and having to backtrack to figure out what I missed.

Going to have to think about this.

I will say that  I went from the gen 2 (Kindle with keyboard) to I think it's the gen 5 paperwhite, and there was a very noticeable improvement in being more "book-like".

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »
I have thought about springing for a paperwhite... but the cheapest of those is well over $100.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
I have an kindle reader (4th generation) and I've changed the battery two or three times.  I bought replacement batteries on ebay that came with the tools to do it.  The battery I got on ebay was $15 I think.

It is not especially difficult.

They glue it shut (at least mine was), so the first time you have to heat up the back of the kindle with a hair drier to loosen the glue to remove the cover.  After that it is easy.  That was the only hard part.

I watched a youtube video to see how it was done.

Go ahead and do it.

My kindle 4 is one of my favorite possessions, I use it most days.

I dread the day it breaks.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
Hum... Hair dryer...

I'd have to have hair to own a hair dryer...

I wonder if I could use a heat gun from a distance...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 08:31:30 PM »
I have thought about springing for a paperwhite... but the cheapest of those is well over $100.

The current generation Paperwhites are waterproof, so it's somewhat worth it.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
The current generation Paperwhites are waterproof, so it's somewhat worth it.
Probably less so after a battery replacement.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 06:58:37 AM »
Well, if I bought a paperwhite, I'd have to wait for probably 4 to 5 years, or longer, before needing to replace the battery.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I will just limp along for awhile and see what kind of deals are available around Christmas.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 07:07:00 AM »
"My kindle 4 is one of my favorite possessions, I use it most days."

Word.

It's very rare that I don't fall asleep at night reading on my Kindle. I've read a TON of books that I never would have because I wouldn't have either sprung for the money for the physical version, plus I've found a metric buttload of neat books through the "Kindle book deals" e-mails I get. Fascinating stuff on military history, general history, murder mystery, etc., plus a bunch of classics that I've always wanted to read.

The only thing that might make me want to get a newer Kindle is if the newer ones handle graphics and illustrations better. Reading a lot of military history I come across a lot of maps, and my Kindle just doesn't handle those well at all. Very dim, can't enlarge them, etc. Basically it's pretty rare to get much of anything usable from the image. That's also true with black and white photos. Those don't render well at all.

I just finished a book discussing whether or not the German Blitzkrieg was actually a German military thing or a way for the Allies to explain how they got their asses handed to them early in the war (author makes a convincing case, but not a completely solid case that it was an Allied excuse/explanation).

Those kinds of books have tons of maps and photos, and they just don't do well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »
I also read on my Kindle for an hour or so every evening. I have so many books on it I might otherwise never have gotten in hardcopy that it's ridiculous.

Unless the newest generation has made major leaps, the paperwhite is as crappy about images and stuff as the first gen Kindles. The Kindle Fire is much better at this, but (caveat - I only own the first gen Fire) I find it hard on the eyes to read on the Kindle Fire and pretty much never do.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
I do not want a new kindle, as all of them are touch screen- I find these very hard to use.  It is difficult for me to select exactly the word I want when using the dictionary function.  I also find myself accidentally turning the page when I touch the screen.  The Kindle 4 and 5 are perfect for my purposes.

They haven't been made for years though.   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »
Didn't realize that the new Kindles were touch screen. Not sure I'm interested in that.

I also dislike reading on an actively lit screen. I rarely try to read books on my phone because of that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
Didn't realize that the new Kindles were touch screen. Not sure I'm interested in that.

I also dislike reading on an actively lit screen. I rarely try to read books on my phone because of that.

Know that the paperwhite light is not anything like a lit phone, or even a Kindle Fire. You need to see if you can find someone near you whose paperwhite you can look at.

I have no problems with the Kindle touchscreen. While I wish it additionally had buttons (some models might) so  I could choose, the touchscreen is not bad at all for me.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
If you want an extra Kindle 4 or 5 (both similar) they can be found on shopgoodwill.com, ebay, and there are some used ones on amazon.

I am going to buy one or more as a backup.

Of course, there is no guarantee if you buy a used one it will not have a depleted battery as well.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
Target has Kindles on display if you want to check them out.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:32 AM »
And, Woot has a bunch of Kindle refurb units on sale right now, including a bunch of paperwhites...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
Bought one.

2016 Paperwhite. Internal light. Whole schmear. 4 Gig. Should be here next week.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »
Very cool. My new to me Kindle Paperwhite is out for delivery. It was originally estimated to be delivered on Thursday. I guess Woot/Amazon got their *expletive deleted*it together and got it out in good time.