Author Topic: Telecommuting and Pay Scales  (Read 839 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Telecommuting and Pay Scales
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
I found this interesting. With a lot of the big tech players, because of the virus, now allowing their employees to permanently telecommute, they are now looking at adjusting salaries based on locality. This mostly means that telecommuters are moving away from places like Silicon Valley, which means most pay adjustments will be down.

As a retired gov employee, this is sensible to me, since fed.gov salaries are all computed with locality pay. My pay for a Santa Barbara duty station was like 25% higher than if my duty station would have been in BFE Mississippi. I'm wondering how private sector employees will adapt to this. Especially the dotcom employees, who are such SJW babies. This is surely a micro (or even macro!) aggression.  :laugh:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vmware-twitter-cut-pay-remote-184722278.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
Re: Telecommuting and Pay Scales
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
The whining would be music to our ears. :laugh: [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »
Friend of mine, VERY smart dude, "worked" in Silicon Valley for years, but did so remotely from his home in rural Virginia.

He was paid an SV salary. Made out like a fat rat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
If salaries are reduced, so should the cost of goods and services.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »
If salaries are reduced, so should the cost of goods and services.

Essentially they are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
Essentially they are.

I'm talking about what the consumers pay.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm talking about what the consumers pay.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If the dot.com workers move to podunk USA, they're paying less for housing, insurance, plumbers, food, etc. So when their salaries are reduced for locality, they're still doing okay, if not better than in San Francisco.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If the dot.com workers move to podunk USA, they're paying less for housing, insurance, plumbers, food, etc. So when their salaries are reduced for locality, they're still doing okay, if not better than in San Francisco.
I think he is saying that if Facebook workers earn less, Facebook should be cheaper to the end user.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
I think he is saying that if Facebook workers earn less, Facebook should be cheaper to the end user.

Ah, okay. :)

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
I think the compensation should be gauged on where the company is located. If my office were in Silicon Valley, it shouldn't matter where I complete the work, it still ends up in the Silicon Valley office. Right now my wife is trying to get permission to stay remote permanently. Her immediate supervisor mentioned that his last company would base compensation on where you were located, and said that they might try to do that with her. I told her that if they try it, explain that we really enjoyed Maui and that she'd need a 40% raise.