Author Topic: Inmate firefighters in California may now have a better chance to turn pro  (Read 696 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/9/12/21433678/wildfires-california-law-inmate-firefighters-fire-departments-release

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/516157-newsom-signs-legislation-allowing-pathway-for-inmate-firefighters-to

Interesting: inmate firefighters in California may now have their convictions expunged upon release, giving them a clean criminal record and thus improving their chance to get hired as a professional firefighter.  I wonder if this applies to joining a pro wildfire crew/department, or a municipal/county department. I still dabble in risk management for emergency medical services, and from what I hear, it is still very difficult and generally takes years and multiple attempts to get on in a paid department here, and most successful candidates either already have years of experience and certifications as a volunteer, or have additional points added due to veteran status or the like.  I don't think there is any way someone coming in off the street can get hired without these factors.  I don't know anything about wildfire crews, and maybe their hiring standards are different.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
Re: Inmate firefighters in California may now have a better chance to turn pro
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
Local fire departments still hold to PCness.  My son scored the highest in testing and interview, but was told the department needed "people of color and women"...Sorry.  Even white males with on call FD experience are turned away.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/9/12/21433678/wildfires-california-law-inmate-firefighters-fire-departments-release

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/516157-newsom-signs-legislation-allowing-pathway-for-inmate-firefighters-to

Interesting: inmate firefighters in California may now have their convictions expunged upon release, giving them a clean criminal record and thus improving their chance to get hired as a professional firefighter.  I wonder if this applies to joining a pro wildfire crew/department, or a municipal/county department. I still dabble in risk management for emergency medical services, and from what I hear, it is still very difficult and generally takes years and multiple attempts to get on in a paid department here, and most successful candidates either already have years of experience and certifications as a volunteer, or have additional points added due to veteran status or the like.  I don't think there is any way someone coming in off the street can get hired without these factors.  I don't know anything about wildfire crews, and maybe their hiring standards are different.

I've seen this type of thing posted to Facebook every now and then. When reading less leftist leaning sources I've read that many actually already can get jobs after, depending on things like what they were in for to begin with.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 09:56:09 PM »
So they'll be allowed to own guns?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
Post withdrawn by poster.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:44:23 PM by 230RN »