Author Topic: Tread - The Movie  (Read 744 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Tread - The Movie
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:51:18 AM »
Somebody made a documentary about Marv Heemeyer and his Killdozer:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5807330

I just watched it last night.  I knew the basics of the story previously, the movie provided further details.  I don't want to provide any spoilers so I'll just say I think the movie told his story fairly.  Marv had recorded his reasons on tape before sealing himself into the vehicle (James Earl Jones voice: "And thereby sealing his fate.") so most of his point of view is told in his own voice.  Overall very worth watching, even if just for the video of his rampage. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Tread - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »
I watched "Tread" too and thought it was pretty even handed.

And as usual, the truth was probably somewhere in between. I got the impression that the town's "good ol boy network" did mess with him, (It's not as if anybody would admit to it on video) but OTOH, there were pretty clear regulations about easements and sewer service etc. and he could have tied in a lot cheaper to the new lateral when the next plot over got developed. And from his own tapes, it was clear Heemeyer was definitely just plain nuts.

And considering he sold the business/plot of land and it's buildings for several times more than what he paid for it, it doesn't seem like he got an unfair deal at the end.

What I found interesting from a pragmatic standpoint is that much like a car chase, if the tires don't give out, it's inevitably the cooling system that dies or overloads. So if you're going on a bulldozer rampage, besides good intel on which structures have a basement, upgrade the cooling system.  =D
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
So say I am tooling along in my trusty hooptie with the spinner rims when Officer Friendly tries to pull me over.  I put the pedal to the metal, but a few blocks later, responding officers shoot several holes in my radiator.  How much farther can I expect to make it before the hooptie goes Tango Uniform?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:15:41 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:44:43 AM »
you're going on a bulldozer rampage, besides good intel on which structures have a basement,

Basements are a reason it's a big no no to drive a tank through buildings despite what they like to show in movies. All too often the tank would just fall into the basement. That and the fact buildings tend to fall onto the tanks as well can ruin a tank's day.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
So say I am tooling along in my trusty hooptie with the spinner rims when Officer Friendly tries to pull me over.  I put the pedal to the metal, but a few blocks later, responding officers shoot several holes in my radiator.  How much farther can I expect to make it before the hooptie goes Tango Uniform?

Depends on a bunch of things.  In demo derby, with an older car (70's Lincoln),  once the radiator went the 460 was usually good for 10 min. 

For something closer to a hooptie with spinners,  I ran an 88 Caddy one year.  Little 307 ran the 15ish min heat with no radiator for most of it,  limped back to the pits, got a new radiator,  lost that one 7 ish min into the finale,  and still drove away under it's own power.

Modern hooptie?  No idea,  but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fail safe/engine protect mode that would stop you from finding out how far it goes sans radiator.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »
Depends on a bunch of things.  In demo derby, with an older car (70's Lincoln),  once the radiator went the 460 was usually good for 10 min. 

For something closer to a hooptie with spinners,  I ran an 88 Caddy one year.  Little 307 ran the 15ish min heat with no radiator for most of it,  limped back to the pits, got a new radiator,  lost that one 7 ish min into the finale,  and still drove away under it's own power.

Modern hooptie?  No idea,  but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fail safe/engine protect mode that would stop you from finding out how far it goes sans radiator.

I think in many if not all modern cars the computer would shut the engine off before it got too far
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes