Author Topic: 8.6 Blackout  (Read 722 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
8.6 Blackout
« on: August 21, 2023, 02:15:00 PM »
I need another buck fitty per round caliber like I need a hole in the head, but this 8.6 Blackout is very interesting. GT didn't have an adequate sound meter, but it sure sounded like it was half the perceived sound of a subsonic .300 Blackout. He was guessing around 110db.

Some interesting factoids:

The guy at Q who developed it shoots cape buffalo with it.
Good to longer distances than the .300 Blackout.
Apparently .338 is an intrinsically great caliber for suppression.
This thing was going through four gel blocks in the video. For reference, the .300 Blackout stopped at one. All that energy and still quiet.
The Discrete Ballistics bullet at 7:10 in the video looks ridiculous with that hollow point (280 grain).
This is being looked at for its armor piercing capability.

Anyways, pretty wild cartridge.

https://youtu.be/ns96O3ZP0qU

Edit: Oh yeah, the cartridge was designed to function best with a 1:3 twist. I've never heard of anything common with that twist rate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 02:29:06 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 8.6 Blackout
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 02:20:33 PM »
Another wonder round
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 02:39:22 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, my wonder rounds are the .32-20, the .30-06 and, especially, the .300 Savage.

I wonder why I love them so much, but I do.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 04:18:48 PM »
I suppose if you're going to slow the projective to subsonic, making it big as possible is the best way to make up for lost muzzle energy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 09:37:04 AM »
It  is still a big round.  Not sure if it fits in the AR-15 or AR-10 platform.  Interesting, but not right now.  I would probably buy a CZ Shadow 2 Compact first. 

That reminds me of the subsonic 50 BMG that a company teased at SHOT show a few years ago.  I assume they couldn't make it work well enough.  50 BMG bullet with a shorter case.  The biggest round I am likely to have is 45/70 subsonic.  The new Marlin rifles are still overpriced and hard to find. 

I saw some Hornady subsonic 7.62x39 that had a 255 grain bullet.  It was out of stock by the time I saw it. 
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/7.62x39-255-gr-sub-x-subsonic#!/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 09:58:47 AM »
It  is still a big round.  Not sure if it fits in the AR-15 or AR-10 platform.  Interesting, but not right now.  I would probably buy a CZ Shadow 2 Compact first. 

That CZ sure is making the guntube rounds!

On the 8.6, another interesting thing in the GT video was that when he was talking about .338 being an inherently good bullet for subsonic suppression, he had mentioned coefficient. I'm still kind of a suppression dummy, and I'm struggling to figure out how BC can be a primary component of "good suppression". I've always thought of BC coming into play once the lead left the steel.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »
I suppose if you're going to slow the projective to subsonic, making it big as possible is the best way to make up for lost muzzle energy.

Brad

That’s why I want a suppressed.45-70 single shot. You might have to time it to target with a sundial, the trajectory might hit a starlink satellite, but that 500gr bullet will be quiet getting there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 11:04:34 AM »
That’s why I want a suppressed.45-70 single shot. You might have to time it to target with a sundial, the trajectory might hit a starlink satellite, but that 500gr bullet will be quiet getting there.
I have a couple boxes of Hornady 45/70 subsonic, but that load has a 410 grain bullet.  I am saving them for when I actually get a 45/70 with a threaded barrel.  I will have to keep an eye out for heavier loads.

I want a suppressed 30/30 also, but I have no idea if anyone makes super heavy loads for that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 11:08:18 AM »
That CZ sure is making the guntube rounds!

I only saw mention of it on TFB TV.  A very short video. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 11:08:33 AM »

ISS: Houston, we have a problem.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 11:59:51 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.