Author Topic: Amazon Prime, combining accounts, retain separate identities?  (Read 708 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Amazon Prime, combining accounts, retain separate identities?
« on: September 14, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
SWMBO and I have had separate Prime accounts for years. Now being all marriaged up and with my Prime student discount going away, the second account is an unnecessary expense. I know you can combine existing Prime accounts but can the the identities retain unique logins, payment methods, etc, or are they now treated as a single identity with a shared payment method, Prime Video wish list, etc? Amazon's FAQ and a cursory application of Google Fu don't give clear answers.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
Re: Amazon Prime, combining accounts, retain separate identities?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
I think it is a single account and you have to pick payment, shipping and other things each time.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »
It goes to single account and combined address books, payment choices and watch lists.

Wife and I went through the same thing after we discovered that during a deployment we had both signed up for Prime (oops).

I kept my account login so I could buy her birthday presents without her getting an e-mail notification, but have to pay shipping now.

One Prime account=One login credential.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Okay, some more digging turned up Amazon Household. If both people have an Amazon account and one of them is Prime, you can link the accounts and share Prime benefits while retaining separate account identities.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-merge-amazon-accounts

If this works like BI described, it will be perfect.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
Update. Seems to work fine. Merging accounts is simple. It has the added benefit of being able to add access to each other's payment options (if you're comfortable with that sort of thing). We use separate cards for certain expenses so that works out pretty good for us. Best of all she was able to keep her Prime Video watchlist so none of that chick flick foofery cluttering up my nice watchlist full of documentaries, actions movies, and cheesy 80's schlock.

Brad
-HankB