Main Forums > The Roundtable

Modern Samurai Project red dot sight pistol course

(1/4) > >>

Fly320s:
I took this class this past weekend:  https://www.modernsamuraiproject.com/reddotpistol   Scott, the instructor, did a great job of actually being a teacher and helping all of us learn how to run a RDS.  I had planned to write out a decent AAR of the class, but I'm not feeling up to it, so if you have any questions, ask away and I will answer them.

Summary: after 2 days of this class, I can run my RDS-equipped M&P as well as my iron-sighted M&Ps.  Actually, the RDS is better/faster now that I can't focus on the front sight anymore thanks to being 50+.  For example, my draw to the A-zone on an USPSA target from 7 yards was 1.35, which equals my best iron sights time, but I actually saw and used my red dot.  I also did a 1.88 to the A zone from 25 yards, which I've never even come close to with irons.  All from AIWB concealed.

Overall, I highly recommend the class.  I now have the competence and confidence to use a RDS all of the time.

just Warren:
Nice.

Many years back at THR, when I was first getting involved with the practical side of gun-enthusiasm, as opposed to just being a gun owner, I asked if RDSs would ever be used on carry guns and I got lightly mocked for asking the question.

So it's nice to see that they are becoming more prevalent to the point that there's enough interest to support a regular class on using them.

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: just Warren on September 15, 2020, 06:08:36 PM ---Nice.

Many years back at THR, when I was first getting involved with the practical side of gun-enthusiasm, as opposed to just being a gun owner, I asked if RDSs would ever be used on carry guns and I got lightly mocked for asking the question.

So it's nice to see that they are becoming more prevalent to the point that there's enough interest to support a regular class on using them.

--- End quote ---

Any instructor who says RDS is not here to stay is an idiot.  Nearly all mainstream instructors are teaching RDS classes.  Jeff Gonzales started doing that 5+ years ago.  Kyle Lamb does it.  Larry Vickers probably doesn't know they exist, but he is an anomoly. 

I've been using RDS on my carbines for 10+ years.  I used to run BUIS, but I never, not even once, needed them, so I stopped using them.  I think pistols will follow a similar path.

Ben:
I got my very first pistol RDS a few weeks ago. Mounted on my FNX45 Tactical. So far I've just shot it with the suppressor I got at the same time, and I mentioned elsewhere that using the suppressor was throwing me off a bit on drills. I'm going to take the suppressor off for a while and practice more with the RDS.  I notice it's not the same for me getting on it on the pistol as it is on rifles, but I think that's just an adjustment period and getting my brain to go to it.

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: Ben on September 15, 2020, 06:32:52 PM ---I got my very first pistol RDS a few weeks ago. Mounted on my FNX45 Tactical. So far I've just shot it with the suppressor I got at the same time, and I mentioned elsewhere that using the suppressor was throwing me off a bit on drills. I'm going to take the suppressor off for a while and practice more with the RDS.  I notice it's not the same for me getting on it on the pistol as it is on rifles, but I think that's just an adjustment period and getting my brain to go to it.

--- End quote ---

Not so much an adjustment period as a technique.  Squeeze with your support hand pinky to bring the muzzle down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version