Author Topic: Modern Samurai Project red dot sight pistol course  (Read 1153 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Modern Samurai Project red dot sight pistol course
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:38:24 PM »
I took this class this past weekend:  https://www.modernsamuraiproject.com/reddotpistol   Scott, the instructor, did a great job of actually being a teacher and helping all of us learn how to run a RDS.  I had planned to write out a decent AAR of the class, but I'm not feeling up to it, so if you have any questions, ask away and I will answer them.

Summary: after 2 days of this class, I can run my RDS-equipped M&P as well as my iron-sighted M&Ps.  Actually, the RDS is better/faster now that I can't focus on the front sight anymore thanks to being 50+.  For example, my draw to the A-zone on an USPSA target from 7 yards was 1.35, which equals my best iron sights time, but I actually saw and used my red dot.  I also did a 1.88 to the A zone from 25 yards, which I've never even come close to with irons.  All from AIWB concealed.

Overall, I highly recommend the class.  I now have the competence and confidence to use a RDS all of the time.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Modern Samurai Project red dot sight pistol course
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »
Nice.

Many years back at THR, when I was first getting involved with the practical side of gun-enthusiasm, as opposed to just being a gun owner, I asked if RDSs would ever be used on carry guns and I got lightly mocked for asking the question.

So it's nice to see that they are becoming more prevalent to the point that there's enough interest to support a regular class on using them.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »
Nice.

Many years back at THR, when I was first getting involved with the practical side of gun-enthusiasm, as opposed to just being a gun owner, I asked if RDSs would ever be used on carry guns and I got lightly mocked for asking the question.

So it's nice to see that they are becoming more prevalent to the point that there's enough interest to support a regular class on using them.

Any instructor who says RDS is not here to stay is an idiot.  Nearly all mainstream instructors are teaching RDS classes.  Jeff Gonzales started doing that 5+ years ago.  Kyle Lamb does it.  Larry Vickers probably doesn't know they exist, but he is an anomoly. 

I've been using RDS on my carbines for 10+ years.  I used to run BUIS, but I never, not even once, needed them, so I stopped using them.  I think pistols will follow a similar path.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
I got my very first pistol RDS a few weeks ago. Mounted on my FNX45 Tactical. So far I've just shot it with the suppressor I got at the same time, and I mentioned elsewhere that using the suppressor was throwing me off a bit on drills. I'm going to take the suppressor off for a while and practice more with the RDS.  I notice it's not the same for me getting on it on the pistol as it is on rifles, but I think that's just an adjustment period and getting my brain to go to it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
I got my very first pistol RDS a few weeks ago. Mounted on my FNX45 Tactical. So far I've just shot it with the suppressor I got at the same time, and I mentioned elsewhere that using the suppressor was throwing me off a bit on drills. I'm going to take the suppressor off for a while and practice more with the RDS.  I notice it's not the same for me getting on it on the pistol as it is on rifles, but I think that's just an adjustment period and getting my brain to go to it.

Not so much an adjustment period as a technique.  Squeeze with your support hand pinky to bring the muzzle down.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »
I have a Sig P365XL that is cut for the mount.  I haven't tried to get a mount yet.  Sooner or later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »
I switched to a RDS on my carry gun.  After running them hard on some drills by myself I'm a believer. RDS's are faster and better for combat shooting.

I need to make time to take a class, as skills are always something to improve.

Quote from: Mechag94
I have a Sig P365XL that is cut for the mount.  I haven't tried to get a mount yet.  Sooner or later.

There's no mount. The Romeo Zero bolts directly to the slide.  That combo (365xl w/ RZero) is my carry, and I really like it. 13 rds, tiny gun, but big enough to be easily controlled and very fast, target focused aiming.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
 I used to run BUIS, but I never, not even once, needed them, so I stopped using them.  I think pistols will follow a similar path.

Been hearing that a lot these days. Supposedly, a lot of spec ops people are on that train now. Course, they're using way higher quality optics than some of us can afford...

I should add a lot of people are using RDS on ARs, as back-up to something else.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
Been hearing that a lot these days. Supposedly, a lot of spec ops people are on that train now. Course, they're using way higher quality optics than some of us can afford...

I should add a lot of people are using RDS on ARs, as back-up to something else.

I'm sure the spec-ops boys have the latest and greatest, but even my lowly Aimpoint T-1 is nearly idiot proof.  For my "fighting rifles" I only use Aimpoints.  I'll use either the T-1 or T-2, but since I'm no where near the tip of the spear, I don't know if there are better options.

My carbine RDS are primary, not back-up.  I do have one SPR/DMR type rifle that uses a LPVO with a RMR back-up, but the RMR is more of an alternative rather than a back-up.  I can't see a LPVO failing unless it falls off a cliff.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:22:09 PM »
I do have one SPR/DMR type rifle that uses a LPVO with a RMR back-up, but the RMR is more of an alternative rather than a back-up.  I can't see a LPVO failing unless it falls off a cliff.

I gather some use an RDS or RMR as a close-quarters sight, and keep the LPVO on something other than 1x. I guess that is the "alternative" you speak of, but I would think it also functions as a back-up.

I only wish my LPVO was Aimpoint quality. My LPVO retails for $250 or less, so maybe I should have a back-up. But I don't.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:42:34 AM »
I want one bad. For now I stick to my tried and true method of not particularly examining any part of the sights. I would get really excited if USPSA had Modified class like IPSC but I have been out of the game so long there was no carry optics class back then, might try that.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »
I gather some use an RDS or RMR as a close-quarters sight, and keep the LPVO on something other than 1x. I guess that is the "alternative" you speak of, but I would think it also functions as a back-up.

Exactly.  It is quicker to switch to the red dot than to adjust the magnification of the scope.  Seems more like a gaming/competition trick than a real world technique, but whatevs.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »
It is amazing to see the things that were  gamer only twenty years ago be ubiquitous in combat now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »

There's no mount. The Romeo Zero bolts directly to the slide.  That combo (365xl w/ RZero) is my carry, and I really like it. 13 rds, tiny gun, but big enough to be easily controlled and very fast, target focused aiming.
I was tired last night and meant to say I did not have the pistol red dot that fits the gun yet. 

I got a streamlight tactical light for it, but the Galco holster I got snags on the light and it is very difficult to draw.  I need to work on that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
I'm sure the spec-ops boys have the latest and greatest, but even my lowly Aimpoint T-1 is nearly idiot proof.  For my "fighting rifles" I only use Aimpoints.  I'll use either the T-1 or T-2, but since I'm no where near the tip of the spear, I don't know if there are better options.

My carbine RDS are primary, not back-up.  I do have one SPR/DMR type rifle that uses a LPVO with a RMR back-up, but the RMR is more of an alternative rather than a back-up.  I can't see a LPVO failing unless it falls off a cliff.
I like the looks of the AIMpoint ACRO, but the cost is high right now.  I have also heard the battery life is not so good.  Maybe the next generation model will be better.

I feel we are right at the start of these sights being everyday practical.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
Exactly.  It is quicker to switch to the red dot than to adjust the magnification of the scope.  Seems more like a gaming/competition trick than a real world technique, but whatevs.

I don't know, but these guys are apparently more real-world oriented, and they like the concept.

https://youtu.be/84KBHdpKB1c

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »
Larry Vickers probably doesn't know they exist, but he is an anomoly. 
I'm pretty sure Vickers is on the MRDS train too ...

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
I'm in the process of upgrading my Springfield XDm (which will soon replace my 1911 as my primary carry rig) with a Vortex Venom.   Excited to see how this is going to run
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy