Author Topic: Background Check Times  (Read 1272 times)

MikeB

• friend
Background Check Times
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:36:49 PM »
So, I haven’t bought a new gun in at least a year. I got a bug recently and decided I needed a new pistol. Specifically a P320 of a more or less specific configuration. Well come to find out that is mostly an exercise in futility. I did find an acceptable P320 though and since they are modular I can make what I want if I don’t find a more specific model soon. I’m actually leaning towards a couple builds.

In any event, the stupid background check took the better part of 45 mins. I’m now convinced this is a conspiracy to sell more guns. During the wait I ended up buying yet another AR pistol and almost another gun! If the powers that be want less guns sold they should get those checks done fast and customers out the door!

In all seriousness though, I can’t believe the number of customers that just wanted a gun, pretty much any gun and that were obviously first time buyers or at least buyers that had little experience or looking to ad a pistol to the shotgun they just bought, etc...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Background Check Times
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
45 minute wait is pretty short.  I had to wait two days this past Spring due to the backlog at NICS. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
I've bought 2 and the wife bought 1 in the last 3 months. None of our background checks took any longer than it did for the gun shop guy to enter them in the system. I'm talking less than 10 minutes on any of them and the last one the guy took 3 phone calls while he was running it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 06:57:18 PM »
Kentucky with conceal permit* no background check needed at time of purchase so no waiting

*Not actually needed for conceal carry in state, constitutional carry and all, but handy for other states.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:28 PM »
What's a background check?

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »

=D

Does Idaho not participate?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »
Does Idaho not participate?

Same as WLJ - with a carry permit, no check.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »

=D

If you must know. A NICS background check is an unconstitutional infringement on the right to bear arms. Kind of like the one you submitted to to get your Idaho CCW permission slip.
Sheesh, kids today.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
If you must know. A NICS background check is an unconstitutional infringement on the right to bear arms. Kind of like the one you submitted to to get your Idaho CCW permission slip.
Sheesh, kids today.
 :facepalm:

Well, I don't need a permit to CCW in Idaho. Of course if I CCW without a permit, then I'm doing background checks for gun purchases.  :laugh:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »
Well,  a week ago Tuesday I bought a Sig 365 at Academy.   NICS  wait was normal,  just a moment done via internet. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
No background check with a CCW permit?

What about the background check for the permit?

Ipso facto a background check was necessary for a "backgroundcheckless" purchase.

Sheesh, kids today. =D

The thing that bothers me  about all these infringements (including background checks) is the pre-assumption (presumption) that just about 100 percent of our population are inherently bad guys, will misuse a gun, and must be weeded out in advance.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:54:31 PM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »
10 day minimum wait in Washington state now for the background check to be completed and the gun to be released to the purchaser.  You used to be able to skip the background check if you had a carry permit.  Thank Michael Bloomberg for changing that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:58 PM »
I don't buy the OP's story. He found a store with more than one gun for sale? As if...

You used to be able to skip the background check if you had a carry permit.  Thank Michael Bloomberg for changing that.

He's the mayor of Washington state now - who knew?  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
With that much loose change in his pocket, he could buy his way into being mayor of England.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »

He funded the citizen initiatives that imposed the longer background check requirement, amongst other changes to our state gun laws. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 07:31:57 AM »
He funded the citizen initiatives that imposed the longer background check requirement, amongst other changes to our state gun laws. 

I know. Amongst other nasty little plots he's behind, in other states.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »
I wish Virginia would update their laws so that there's no background check needed with a CCW. They tried a couple of times but some RINOs kept blocking it over the years. Now that Governor Moonwalker's party is in power, that will never happen, and there's a lot of fear that they're going to try coming for the CCW laws next to try and repeal shall issue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
I wish Virginia would update their laws so that there's no background check needed with a CCW. They tried a couple of times but some RINOs kept blocking it over the years. Now that Governor Moonwalker's party is in power, that will never happen, and there's a lot of fear that they're going to try coming for the CCW laws next to try and repeal shall issue.

While we all know why this isn't standard in all states, it's really dumb not to. The CCW background check is a good bit more intense than a NICS check. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people slip by the NICS that would be flagged if the check involved fingerprints, etc., and additional scrutiny by state LE.

Also, I'm pretty sure in most states, if you commit crimes that would prohibit you from buying a gun, the alarms go off in the CCW office and your permit is pulled, so it's not like one of the excuses - that someone may have become prohibited since they applied for their CCW - would hold water. It's all about control and databases.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »
Try explaining that to the idiots who are now running Virginia.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
While we all know why this isn't standard in all states, it's really dumb not to. The CCW background check is a good bit more intense than a NICS check. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people slip by the NICS that would be flagged if the check involved fingerprints, etc., and additional scrutiny by state LE.

Also, I'm pretty sure in most states, if you commit crimes that would prohibit you from buying a gun, the alarms go off in the CCW office and your permit is pulled, so it's not like one of the excuses - that someone may have become prohibited since they applied for their CCW - would hold water. It's all about control and databases.

Maybe this is true where you live.   In Alabama a few years ago we got the ability to purchase a gun without a NICS  approval if we had a ccw permit, which are issued by the county sheriff here.  IIRC  there are 69 counts here,  and unfortunatly around July 2019 we lost this ability because sheriffs in 24 of those counties were not running ccw permits  :mad:  through whatever process Alabama does use, so we're back to depending on NICS efficiency.

I hope those in charge of your ccw permiting are more responsible.  I'm still disturbed a couple dozen of our sheriffs were scarfing the doughnuts instead of doing their jobs.  :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
I bought a Glock 23 on the 1st, it took until the 10th for it to clear in NJ. Apparently that's average here now.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »

I hope those in charge of your ccw permiting are more responsible.  I'm still disturbed a couple dozen of our sheriffs were scarfing the doughnuts instead of doing their jobs.  :mad:

Texas uses the CHL-in-lieu-of-NICS, too. Actually it's called LTC, or License to Carry now, but whatever.

Thankfully, our application process isn't beholden to local constabulary. Straight-up "shall issue" with benchmarks that mirror NICS purchase requirements, albeit at FBI levels of scrutiny (essentially going through the NICS check on a slightly more "official" level). It goes to the Texas DPS for primary screening, then to the FBI for secondary screening. Completely reactive with comparisons against stated, objective criteria. None of this subjective "if you can demonstrate a need" BS. If neither agency sees a disqualifying event, you're in.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 04:06:34 PM »
I don't buy the OP's story. He found a store with more than one gun for sale? As if...

Not only that, but they called me last night and had gotten in the exact gun I was looking for. Today check time was only about 15 mins. Now in PA we can’t use our LTCF (License to carry firearms) license in lieu of PICS/NICS. I didn’t have time to look around enough to buy a second gun this time. So I’m ups two P320’s. One being the RXP with the Romeo red dot, and a Springfield Saint Victor AR pistol. I probably paid a little more for two of them than normal price, but not real bad premium.

Now ammo, that is another issue. I will have to dig into some stocked away stuff for test firing tomorrow or Monday, and I haven’t played with an NFA toy in awhile. Too expensive to take those out.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »
Try explaining that to the idiots who are now running Virginia.

Well, now that individual counties are allowed to prohibit all guns on public property, I'm not sure what good a CCW is in this state anymore.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 10:48:54 PM »
Not required here in Ohio if you have CCW.  But, buying on base at the Exchange they call in no matter what.  Usually takes about 10 minutes to clear for me.