Author Topic: Only the Outlaws...  (Read 1162 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Only the Outlaws...
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
Please tell me how you interpret the following quotation by the noted philosopher, fistful.

"When morality is outlawed, only outlaws will be allowed to have morals."

I texted that to a friend, and he seems to have interpreted it a bit differently (though I agree with his interpretation as well).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
Re: Only the Outlaws...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »
When morality is outlawed,  those with morals will be called racists, bigots, nazis, homophobes, paedophobes, xenophobes....

You're not wrong though.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 09:09:36 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
When morality is outlawed, we will gravitate toward simple and predictable selfish behavior which increases pleasure, avoids pain, and increases DNA.

(As opposed to moral behavior, which varies from place to place, time to time, and person to person.)

Terry, 230RN

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »
A burger increases my amount of bovine DNA, at least for a day or so.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
Please tell me how you interpret the following quotation by the noted philosopher, fistful.

I texted that to a friend, and he seems to have interpreted it a bit differently (though I agree with his interpretation as well).

When the "progressives" take total control of the government, morality as we know it and understand it will become a mere footnote in the history of the United States (and probably the history of the world).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
A burger increases my amount of bovine DNA, at least for a day or so.

Having a burger avoids the pain of hunger and sometimes even increases pleasure.  The increasing DNA part depends on with whom you are having the burger... a movie and parking at the town makeout spot can help in this respect.

And just for good measure, I repeat what I said about morality in Reply #3:

As opposed to moral behavior, which varies from place to place, time to time, and person to person.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:28:12 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »
Well, the progtards made the word "truth" obsolete.  "Moral" can't be far behind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 07:07:50 PM »
When morality is outlawed,  those with morals will be called racists, bigots, nazis, homophobes, paedophobes, xenophobes....

You're not wrong though.

That's how my friend took it.

What I meant was that the outlaw gangs in the streets are on their own sort of moral crusade.* Their "morals" are celebrated by most of the usual gatekeepers. They are applauded for standing up for their convictions.

Your morals, on the other hand - yeah, you're allowed to have them, if you keep them to yourself. You can live by them, if you're careful not to offend the special people.

*Well, some of them are on a moral crusade. A lot of them show up for other reasons.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »
That's how my friend took it.

What I meant was that the outlaw gangs in the streets are on their own sort of moral crusade.* Their "morals" are celebrated by most of the usual gatekeepers. They are applauded for standing up for their convictions.

Your morals, on the other hand - yeah, you're allowed to have them, if you keep them to yourself. You can live by them, if you're careful not to offend the special people.

*Well, some of them are on a moral crusade. A lot of them show up for other reasons.

My solution isn't one I'm willing to post here.  Chickenshit,  but the internet is forever.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
Well, the progtards made the word "truth" obsolete.  "Moral" can't be far behind.

If you like what they've done with "truth",  just wait until you seen what's happened to Justice....*

And diversity, fairness, hate....

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
If you like what they've done with "truth",  just wait until you seen what's happened to Justice....*

And diversity, fairness, hate....

Has anyone else noticed how many brands of justice the Left has? There's many different justices: social, racial, climate, and so on. I'm old enough to remember when there was only supposed to be one Justice, and she was supposed to be blind to your status or race.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »

What's this "allowed" garbage?  Who is granting clemency/blessing/sanctity upon these outlaws?  Isn't "allowed" basically the concept of law? 

Outlaws will take the morality they demand, "allowed" be damned.

The trick is though, this is a double-edged sword.  Those shifty-eyed arabs in Al Qaeda or the Taliban or whatever the State Department doesn't like this week... they take the morality they demand.  Disagree with it or not, it is a defined moral stance.  It just happens to clash with most Western moral stances.

A bit jaded, but I think a classically acceptable moral stance that ought to be respected globally would be akin to the NAP or the Golden Rule and is espoused by your snark, if rather darkly.  Believe whatever you want, live however you want.  Just don't force it on others and don't force others into servitude for your ends.  Once your actions impinge on the free actions of others, your "moral" stance is invalidated.  That goes for the other party, too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »
"Once your actions impinge on the free actions of others, your "moral" stance is invalidated.  That goes for the other party, too."

Ahhh, but here is where it always gets interesting.  The usual comeback is "whose or what are free actions (moral standards) and who get's to define them?"  My experience in life has shown on occasion that that response comes from someone who's likely free actions are to not only be accepted, but celebrated and at times enforced by the rule of law even if those actions contravene centuries of acceptable behavior and are offensive to many if not most. 

My thoughts about the matter are that our Founders were exceptionally wise and had a fairly firm grip on human nature.  They designed a way of governing a civil society that rejected majority rule and set up a system of checks and balances with a representative form of contemplating laws, civility and order as much as it was possible considering and understanding the human critter tends to be corrupt and selfish to the core.  That's why they feared factionalism, pure democracy, citizen ignorance and non participation.  Unfortunately the enlightened class seems to disagree and believes that something that sounds good, has never worked, has killed millions, should be forced on us for our own good.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 10:56:20 PM »

In other words, you're allowed to have your morals -- as long as you only live by them within the privacy of your own home. Don't bring your morals out in public, or you'll be cancelled.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:07 PM »
What's this "allowed" garbage?  Who is granting clemency/blessing/sanctity upon these outlaws?  Isn't "allowed" basically the concept of law?  

Outlaws will take the morality they demand, "allowed" be damned.

The trick is though, this is a double-edged sword.  Those shifty-eyed arabs in Al Qaeda or the Taliban or whatever the State Department doesn't like this week... they take the morality they demand.  Disagree with it or not, it is a defined moral stance.  It just happens to clash with most Western moral stances.

A bit jaded, but I think a classically acceptable moral stance that ought to be respected globally would be akin to the NAP or the Golden Rule and is espoused by your snark, if rather darkly.  Believe whatever you want, live however you want.  Just don't force it on others and don't force others into servitude for your ends.  Once your actions impinge on the free actions of others, your "moral" stance is invalidated.  That goes for the other party, too.

I see I am no good at aphorisms. No one seems to have understood what I was trying to say, which is probably my fault. By "allowed" I mean that BLM/anti-Trump/far-left face almost no consequences from expressing their brand of morality. Even when they impose them on other people through violence or intimidation, they seem to get away with it most of the time. But they seldom lose their jobs or livelihoods over their political stance. Every once in a while, maybe, but for the most part they're safe, and they know they're safe. I think we all know that's not true for the Brendan Eichs and Nick Sandmanns and Jack Philips of America. If you want to be safe and comfortable, you'll adopt the Left's "morality," and you'll do it right away.

In other words, you're allowed to have your morals -- as long as you only live by them within the privacy of your own home. Don't bring your morals out in public, or you'll be cancelled.

Something like that. The Left (and even some people on APS) have had this attitude about religion for a while. "You must bake the cake!" Now, the Jacobins are expanding it to everyone who won't agree with them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 12:30:55 AM »

Something like that. The Left (and even some people on APS) have had this attitude about religion for a while. "You must bake the cake!" Now, the Jacobins are expanding it to everyone who won't agree with them.

But today merely baking the cake is not enough. Oh, no! Now you have to not only bake the cake, you also have to eat the cake and like the cake.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
In some sense this shows you how far gone we are in our culture.

The materialist relativist rot has even those who hold to morals using relativistic language to describe the inversion of morality.

The enemy does not have different "morals", they are immoral.

In many cases they aren't "mistaken" they are evil.

Voting for abortionists who want to pervert the very nature of the people, all the way down to normalizing having sex with children, while fundamentally changing the USA by disenfranchising the majority population is evil.

The left doesn't have morals they have immorality.

The confusion in the statement is due to the confusion of what moral means.

I'm making a concerted effort to not let the left set the narrative and define the terms.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
In some sense this shows you how far gone we are in our culture.

The materialist relativist rot has even those who hold to morals using relativistic language to describe the inversion of morality.

The enemy does not have different "morals", they are immoral.

In many cases they aren't "mistaken" they are evil.

Voting for abortionists who want to pervert the very nature of the people, all the way down to normalizing having sex with children, while fundamentally changing the USA by disenfranchising the majority population is evil.

The left doesn't have morals they have immorality.

The confusion in the statement is due to the confusion of what moral means.

I'm making a concerted effort to not let the left set the narrative and define the terms.

In a sense you're quite correct, which is why I've used language that casts doubt on how moral the Left's "morality" really is. I'm using the language of morality for certain reasons. For one, it's because the Left behaves so Pharasaically, as if they have a moral agenda from on high. Also, because I find it indispensable to point out how telling people what to think or do can be just as bad (or worse) coming from secular humanists as from religious fundamentalists. Also, because I wanted to do a play on the old saying about gun control.