Author Topic: Backup driver charged with negligent homicide in autonomous car  (Read 575 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Backup driver charged with negligent homicide in autonomous car
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:14:16 AM »
Yes, the charges are appropriate, just as they would be if there was no automation in the car.  She, not the automation, was the operator of the vehicle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:11 AM »
Yep. She wasn't doing what she was supposed to do.

Basically the same as if she were texting and drove over someone on the street.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »
While I agree the backup driver is responsible for the death of the pedestrian, I also have to wonder about people who jaywalk at night, in the dark, in dark clothing, and just ASSUME the car will stop for them.

The cars aren't sneaking up on you, as they are all lit up at night. What possessed this woman to just walk out in front of a car, in the dark, in the middle of a street?

https://kjzz.org/content/1618588/negligent-homicide-charges-filed-tempe-self-driving-uber-death (link with the dashcam video, which thankfully is cut just before the actual hit.)

Also, this was from 2018. Did we talk about this before?

Edit: we did. http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=56967.0 And it seems I was similarly perplexed by the pedestrian, then.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »
I think the concept is the >>>>>person <<<<< in the car is the responsible agent for control of the vehicle,  not the Knight Industries Two Thousand wonder computer.   
If a idiot mostly bag of water blunders into the road,  and it's reasonable to believe the HUMAN DRIVER could not physically avoid hitting the idiot mostly bag of water because it blundered out from behind an obstruction,  there is no culpability to the driver,  as long as he/she stops and tries to render aid.

But,  if the driver is also an idiot mostly bag of water and is texting, or playing bingo,  and NOT PAYING ATTENTION,  and kills another idiot mostly bag of water, the driver is criminally negligent.  Even if the driver is David Hasselhoff and the car is K.I.T.T.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »

...I also have to wonder about people who jaywalk at night, in the dark, in dark clothing, and just ASSUME the car will stop for them.

I see it all the time, especially as days get shorter. We have a popular neighborhood park near the house. It's unnerving how many people will be jogging/walking/whatever in the early morning or at night with no light, and while wearing dark clothing and nothing reflective. More than once the only reason I had any kind of warning someone was there was because their dog's eyes reflected back.

Campus is even worse because of the "Yield to Pedestrians" rule which must somehow magically alter the laws of physics. People will walk straight out into the road - head down, staring at their phones, and with headphones in - without breaking stride or so much as a sideways glance. They just presume everyone will yield no matter how close or fast that car, truck, or bus might be. The really fun ones are those walking straight down a sidewalk who suddenly do a 90 to cross the road. No warning, no projection, no signaling, nothing. Just BAM! and suddenly they're in the roadway. That's the pedestrians. Don't even get me started on the bicyclists who think they own the whole damn road and that traffic laws don't apply to them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »
I think I remember this case.  I saw the video.  I believe it was a homeless woman who just walked out in front of the car in the dark.  I think it would have been hard for a human driver to stop in time.