Main Forums > The Roundtable

Good Sealer for Crack in Plastic?

(1/4) > >>

Ben:
I have this ATV herbicide sprayer that has sprung a leak in the tank. Refer to the photo below. It's right on the convex corner where the black support is resting on plywood. I found the leak a couple of days ago, and all I had around was some silicone sealer, so  I tried that. It held well yesterday, but this morning I walked into the shop and had a puddle of herbicide on the floor.

I'm wondering if the silicone couldn't handle the herbicide? It's a diluted mix of 2-4-D. Does anyone have any suggestions for a plastic patch material that is chemical resistant and will also form well and hold on a convex surface like that?

K Frame:
Well, sounds funny, but FlexSeal is supposed to be pretty chemically resistant. A quick google search seems to bear that up.

You might want to try either the flex paste or flex tape, both of which also get good marks.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 17, 2020, 10:40:43 AM ---Well, sounds funny, but FlexSeal is supposed to be pretty chemically resistant. A quick google search seems to bear that up.

You might want to try either the flex paste or flex tape, both of which also get good marks.

--- End quote ---

I actually thought of that, but was thinking "last resort" only because I read that once it's on, that's it and there's no easy way to scrape it off to use something else. This stupid tank costs nearly $400, so I wanted to see if there are other options first. If not, I will in fact end up using the Flex Seal.

bedlamite:
Drill a hole at each end of the crack so it doesn't grow when you heat it, then use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Welder-Polyethylene-Welding-Strips/dp/B00VMGO1IS

Kingcreek:
I used JB weld “plastic” a few years ago in the same application on a backpack sprayer and it’s still holding. I roughed the surface before applying and I was able to get my arm inside also so I gobbed both sides. Right on the bottom corner same as your pic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version