Author Topic: Interest Rates May Stay Near Zero Till 2025  (Read 413 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interest Rates May Stay Near Zero Till 2025
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »
Just saw on the TV that the Fed is considering leaving interest at near current rates, possibly until 2025.

I always harp on how much I hate this. These levels are one thing for the short term, but 2025 is not short term, and I once again wonder how negatively affected people, especially those older, retired people who might be afraid of the stock market because they might not be alive to recover from downturns, will be.

It's a significant drop in income for those who might count on a conservative investment like a Tbill. I saw that for myself. I have my brokerage settlement fund in the Vanguard Federal money market. Early this year the interest rate was around 1.8% and I was getting around $500/mo interest in the account. This month (and the last few months) it has averaged $30.

I think about someone old who may have been getting a couple thousand a month in interest that they were living on, and what that amount is now, and possibly for another four years, and that's gotta hurt.

I still say that a stable economy needs interest rates running 3-5%.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Interest Rates May Stay Near Zero Till 2025
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 09:26:53 AM »
They still occasionally float the negative interest rate idea, effectively taxing savings.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.