Author Topic: Can't find Remote Desktop app on newly setup PC  (Read 516 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Can't find Remote Desktop app on newly setup PC
« on: September 19, 2020, 02:44:57 PM »
It has "Remote Desktop Connections".  Other Windows 10 PCs have both.  I can sign onto my home PCs using RD, but not RDC for some reason.  Any idea where I can find the just plain RD app?  I have looked the optional Windows features where you have to enable things like FTP, Internet Explorer, Wordpad, &c, and I don't find it there.

Maybe it's just missing from the corporate install media and I need to install from Microsoft media.  (it's an ancient i7 laptop we dragged out of storage because my newer i7 laptop just hit 5 years old so the company wants it back so they can destroy it, but that's a topic for another day)  I know I can install W10 Pro from M$ media and when I sign onto the corporate network they will convert it to the enterprise version; I've tested that with my old PC.

The other side of the coin, is there something I need to do besides enabling remote desktop on the host PCs so RDC will work?  These are PCs that don't even have a display, so I always remote in to them rather than drag out a display and hook it up.

(first world problems; wrangling too many computers at home plus one at the office)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Can't find Remote Desktop app on newly setup PC
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »
Try start->run->mstsc

If this is installed from a corporate license I wonder if it has built-in group policies that are limiting you.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »
Thanks.  Another PC with the same corporate image has it, although it was installed a year ago at 1903 and upgraded recently to build 2004.  The one w/o Remote Desktop was freshly installed at 2004.  They should have exactly the same group policies.  But I haven't tried MSTSC yet...
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »
MSTSC brings up the same Remote Desktop Connections that doesn't work.  It wants me to enter a PIN.  I tell it to sign in with another account, and enter my userid and password on the remote system and it fails.  Doesn't tell my why it fails.

I should see what program the link to Remote Desktop on the other systems points to...
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »
The one I wanted wasn't installed but was available for free from the Microsoft Store.  "Microsoft Remote Desktop".  I don't know what the difference is.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »
REALVNC is what I use.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!