Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg died today  (Read 16188 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Justice Ginsburg died today
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:37:47 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/18/100306972/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-champion-of-gender-equality-dies-at-87

I know threads here speculated on whether she would retire or die in office. May she Rest In Peace.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Justice Ginsburg died today
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:42:24 PM »
Her replacement will not occur until after the election.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
Holy crap. That's going to make the next couple of months interesting....

I didn't agree with her politically, philosophically, or morally. But she stuck to her principles, I'll give her that. May her family find comfort and peace.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Holy crap. That's going to make the next couple of months interesting....

I didn't agree with her politically, philosophically, or morally. But she stuck to her principles, I'll give her that. May her family find comfort and peace.

QFT.  All of it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 07:57:07 PM »
Whoa, holy crap is right!

Firstly, RIP. I was one of those who wished that she would have simply retired and enjoyed her remaining years away from politics, but maybe the bench was her enjoyment.

On the politics, this is going to be a wild ride. My first thought is that it is going to rally the dems like nothing else could. Whether that's enough to overcome republican votes for Trump, who's to say? I'm certainly going to up my worry regarding riots, etc. after the election if Trump wins. Or to be precise, wins on election night, because this will absolutely spin up the "don't accept a Trump victory" crowd.

Edit: Not sure if we should maybe start a second topic to separate death from politics, but I just read that she made this statement prior to her death:

Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

Not "until after the election", but "until a new president is installed". That is going to stir a hornets nest.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
Might boost turnout of both sides. Going to be delicate because all campaign speeches for the dems will be done standing on her coffin.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
Her replacement will not occur until after the election.
    Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed." https://t.co/XLzhPiLSng

— Justin Miller (@justinjm1) September 18, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/18/breaking-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-has-passed-away-at-age-87/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:28:51 PM »
Cool. Lets fill it. Now.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 08:34:05 PM »
Might boost turnout of both sides.
For sure. Prior to COVID19 I was sure of a record turnout election. For awhile I wavered on that but now I think that's a pretty solid bet again.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed." https://t.co/XLzhPiLSng

— Justin Miller (@justinjm1) September 18, 2020

I guess raw hatred of Trump wasn't enough to keep her going after all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 08:45:21 PM »
I guess raw hatred of Trump wasn't enough to keep her going after all.

She didn't just mean after the election but if Trump wins wait until 2025. Of course the dems will be screaming "you have to obey her last wishes"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 08:50:35 PM »
May she rest in peace. We ain't gonna have no peace here.  :facepalm:

Trump's fault, obviously.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
The Tinfoil in me thinks she hung on until precisely the right moment to cause the most disruption
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
                 R.I.P

that being said, things got even more interesting - I'm buying more ammo
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »
The sources describes the list of potential nominees as very short and including at least one woman. U.S. Circuit Judge Amy Coney Barrett

>:D . This.

It's funny and kind of sad she stayed on under the assumption Clinton would get to name her replacement.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:13:04 PM »
RIP, RBG. Sympathy and condolences to your family.

I'm quite sure that the Democrats already have affidavits, depositions, and sworn statements attesting to the most grotesque and perverse criminal behaviors imaginable from Trump's nominee to replace Ms. Ginsburg; they just have to wait for Trump to officially nominate someone so they'll know whose name to fill in on those affidavits, depositions, and sworn statements.

RINOs may be a problem - Murkowski, Collins, and Romney may decide against voting for any Trump nominee before the election or in a (potential) lame duck session afterwards. If McConnell and Graham don't push a Trump nominee forward, a LOT of GOP voters will regard this as a deep betrayal of trust and either stay home for the election or (shudder) vote Biden, just out of spite for being backstabbed (again!) by the GOP leadership. And if things DO move forward, look for antifa/BLM to make things sporty again.

And of course, ABCNBCCBSCNNMSNBC will be hysterical for the next month and a hall no matter what.

Bumpy road ahead . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »

That sums it up for me. I didn't agree with her views and opinions, but I respected her as a person. I hoped that she would retire gracefully and spend her last days enjoying her family, but I guess that wasn't the way she wanted to go out. So be it.

R.I.P.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 09:21:56 PM »
Rest In Peace, Ms. Ginsberg.

Something in me says that President Trump has precalculated every contingency possible for every date of her passing and has everything  pretty much automated.

I don't want to stretch the analogy, but sometimes he actually reminds me of Patton.

OK, OK, don't press me on that one too much. But sometimes....

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:46:38 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 09:35:10 PM »
Something in me says that President Trump has precalculated every contingency possible for every date of her passing and has everything  pretty much automated.

It was only a few days ago that the Trump admin talked about their new "short list" for a new justice. Given today's news, it made me think that the higher seats of gov already had information that she was in her final days and were preparing. Both parties.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 09:40:36 PM »
Mitt Romney is about to betray every one who ever voted for him by blocking her replacement.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »
Mitt Romney is about to betray every one who ever voted for him by blocking her replacement.

That will make four Rs that won't vote until after the election. I think that already puts the kibosh on a new justice before the election. Not to mention it doesn't seem there will be time anyway. We're talking like 50 days, and we saw how long all the investigations dragged on last time, with the help of some milquetoast republicans.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 09:56:39 PM »
A 4-4 supreme court could make things interesting in a contested election.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »
Former CNN contributor Reza Aslan is taking the news of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death well:

If they even TRY to replace RBG we burn the entire *expletive deleted*ing thing down.

— Reza Aslan (@rezaaslan) September 19, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/18/reza-aslan-if-they-even-try-to-replace-rbg-we-burn-the-entire-fcking-thing-down/
- Calvin and Hobbes