Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg died today  (Read 16190 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Justice Ginsburg died today
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »
I was not expecting this at all. 

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/09/18/reza-aslan-if-they-even-try-to-replace-rbg-we-burn-the-entire-fcking-thing-down/

Bold threat,  considering they've been at it since may.

Also,  any takers on him getting bounced from Twater for that obvious terrorist threat?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
She did work that she truly believed in, and was looked up to by a great many.  May she rest in peace.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 10:28:01 PM »
I think her career as a lawyer arguing before the SC was more admirable than her time as a justice. You don't go 5 for 6 there without being very good at what you do.

This may not change the electoral math. How many dems come out now that weren't before? You have to find an electoral pool that is smart enough that they understand the impact of a SC justice but dumb enough they didn't 100% know that Ginsberg was going to die or retire in Trump's second term and were just not going to the polls. Our best hope is the dems overplay their hand which is kinda what they are known for. Trump needs to STFU for awhile. No tweets. Ya, we're screwed.

So, can we survive a Harris presidency? I think so. The most flaming progressive appointment wouldn't change the make up the court. Seeing that the dems overreach(again) and pack the court. With luck it drives them out of all power in 2-4 years.

Biggest danger is swing Senate races. This means nothing even with president Harris if they don't take the Senate. They know it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 10:47:09 PM »
RIP. She has had to endure more cancer then I have so I can't say anything besides thoughts for her family.

If Trump is really the one people think he is he should start vetting Garland so we can see heads explode.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 12:45:43 AM »
The Tinfoil in me thinks she hung on until precisely the right moment to cause the most disruption

Or she was a double agent, trying to recreate one of the conditions that helped Trump win in '16. Seriously, though, it's eerie. The Dems again nominated an aging, ailing, establishmentn candidate. They're hemorrhaging black votes worse than before (and I think Hispanic ones, too), and they're doubling down on the environment>jobs rhetoric. They've gone from "Trump is a racist" to "everything is racist." They just refuse to learn.

It was only a few days ago that the Trump admin talked about their new "short list" for a new justice. Given today's news, it made me think that the higher seats of gov already had information that she was in her final days and were preparing. Both parties.

I heard that, too, and I assume that has already been held up as Trump hoping she would die as soon as possible.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 12:45:51 AM »
Rest in Peace, Justice Ginsberg.
Senate Majority Leader McConnell has stated today that the Senate will hold a vote on President Trump's nominee for Justice Ginsberg's replacement.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 02:01:43 AM »
Rest in Peace, Justice Ginsberg.
Senate Majority Leader McConnell has stated today that the Senate will hold a vote on President Trump's nominee for Justice Ginsberg's replacement.

Collins and Murky have already said nyet to a pre-election vote.  Romney probably will run with them.  Grassley too. 

If Trump somehow exceeds the margin of fraud in the election I can totally see a lame duck session vote.  Otherwise it'll be January before there's a vote.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
Collins and Murky have already said nyet to a pre-election vote. 

Murkey is actually pushing "retaliation", saying dems will abolish the filibuster and increase the number of justices "when we're in power next session". They never seem to think that the other side will ever be the majority again (Hi Harry Reid!).

I don't want to see the court expanded no matter who does it. There is no end to that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
I just read something wasn't thinking of regarding delaying an appointment until after the election: What if we have a 2000 style fight over the election and we only have eight justices with a 4-4 split?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 08:47:29 AM »
I just read something wasn't thinking of regarding delaying an appointment until after the election: What if we have a 2000 style fight over the election and we only have eight justices with a 4-4 split?

Not to worry, Roberts will cave to the left.
 =(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Not to worry, Roberts will cave to the left.
 =(

There is that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:11 AM »
Not "until after the election", but "until a new president is installed". That is going to stir a hornets nest.

Treating the "dying wish" of an unelected judge as if it should suspend the regular, constitutionally-established workings of our government for up to 52 months is obviously unreasonable. Which is why Democrats will now regard it as unassailable truth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Mitt Romney is about to betray every one who ever voted for him by blocking her replacement.

Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) has already stated that she won't vote for a replacement before the next presidential term.

There is an appropriate descriptive term for her, but I'm not supposed to use it here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) has already stated that she won't vote for a replacement before the next presidential term.

There is an appropriate descriptive term for her, but I'm not supposed to use it here.

Collins, Murkowski, Graham, and Grassley
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »
Another death to just note in passing.

ustice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

I wonder if she really said that, or if someone else made it up after the fact.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »
Wow
The woman at the beginning of this video is taking it well

*Loud* Language warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9GdwnbcYo
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:43:22 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
Wow
The woman at the beginning of this video is taking it well

*Loud* Language warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k9GdwnbcYo

Same video starts this one, but Mr Reagan has a bunch more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suiVdH9CVH8
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Just checked - RBG was nominated by Clinton on 6/14/93.
The Senate confirmed her on 8/3/93, 50 days after her nomination.
She was sworn in 8/10/93, 57 days after her nomination.

So there's ample precedent to move quickly to seat her replacement.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Collins and Murky have already said nyet to a pre-election vote.  Romney probably will run with them.  Grassley too. 

Maybe some cracks in what everyone is expecting Romney will do? I said maybe

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/19/mitt-romney-spox-says-claim-the-senator-wont-vote-on-a-scotus-nominee-until-next-year-is-grossly-false/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »

1:33.

Oh look! Voters.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »

That's the first I've seen of that video of Trump.  Somehow it's not making the rounds on Twitter.  Wonder why?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
Interesting discussion: Amy Barrett has already gone through confirmation hearings. I don't know much about all of the 25 or whatever people on the list, but for those who  I do know about, she's certainly high on my list.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/09/19/fill-the-seat-will-chamberlain-notes-that-amy-coney-barrett-has-already-gone-through-senate-confirmation-hearings/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 05:25:43 PM »
Interesting discussion: Amy Barrett has already gone through confirmation hearings. I don't know much about all of the 25 or whatever people on the list, but for those who  I do know about, she's certainly high on my list.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/09/19/fill-the-seat-will-chamberlain-notes-that-amy-coney-barrett-has-already-gone-through-senate-confirmation-hearings/

The Dems will point out, IMO correctly,  that hearings for an Appellate Judge =/= hearings for a Supreme Court Justice.

I'm a little concerned the seat will be filled and it'll  start a political hurt feelings cascade that will end with a 432 person SCOTUS in 2028.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 05:33:32 PM »

I don’t know enough about Barrett’s decisions in detail. She is portrayed as an originality though, assuming accurate that would be good for me. One potential problem I do have is that there appears to be a lack of firearm/gun law decisions to judge her by. A quick search didn’t reveal any, but it doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

We cannot have a 4-4 court in this election. It is almost guaranteed that there will be disputes that may go to SCOTUS and Roberts is way to squishy to depend on not caving to the purported popular opinion.