Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg died today  (Read 16358 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Justice Ginsburg died today
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
The Dems will point out, IMO correctly,  that hearings for an Appellate Judge =/= hearings for a Supreme Court Justice.

Why correctly? Is it any less important for appellate level judges to rule based on the law and the Constitution than for Supreme Court justices? Are appellate level judges with skeletons in their closets acceptable at the appellate level but not at the SCOTUS level?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 08:34:07 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-no-fan-of-donald-trump-critiques-latest-term.html

Her colleagues have said nothing in public about the presidential campaign or about Mr. Obama’s stalled nomination of Judge Merrick B. Garland to the Supreme Court. But Justice Ginsburg was characteristically forthright, offering an unequivocal endorsement of Judge Garland.

“I think he is about as well qualified as any nominee to this court,” she said. “Super bright and very nice, very easy to deal with. And super prepared. He would be a great colleague.”

Asked if the Senate had an obligation to assess Judge Garland’s qualifications, her answer was immediate.

“That’s their job,” she said. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
The Republicans are stupid if they fail to get this done before the election.

They will gain zero friends and zero votes waiting for the next term to appoint a replacement. It's almost a lock they will lose votes and demoralize the base.

Do you think there are that many leftists sitting on the sidelines who are all of a sudden going to get activated because of this? I think not, they are ramped up on antitrumpium and hatred to the max already.

Ram this judge through and celebrate, fire up the base and Trump supporters to get out and vote for more winning.

It's obvious many on the right don't like to win.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:55:03 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 10:07:17 PM »
Trump said he's putting a name out next week and it will be a woman.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2020, 07:46:32 AM »
The Republicans are stupid if they fail to get this done before the election.

They will gain zero friends and zero votes waiting for the next term to appoint a replacement. It's almost a lock they will lose votes and demoralize the base.

Do you think there are that many leftists sitting on the sidelines who are all of a sudden going to get activated because of this? I think not, they are ramped up on antitrumpium and hatred to the max already.

Ram this judge through and celebrate, fire up the base and Trump supporters to get out and vote for more winning.

It's obvious many on the right don't like to win.

If Republicans had the Dem will to ram legislation through with accompanying psyops as the media provides the Dems would be forever marginalized.

We can’t get good, hard charging candidates through at the state level to graduate to congressional levels. I know in my state politics is a good ol boys club founded by old money and that’s why squishies like Lindsay Graham keep their power
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2020, 08:15:47 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2020, 08:27:58 AM »
Pretty good video on the subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHm5w8egcs8&ab_channel=TheRageaholic

A quote noted in that video, made by Ginsburg, related to this same situation with Obama and Garland.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg “The president is elected for four years, not three years".

Rs should probably use that one at least as much as the Biden quote from 2016 that cites what the constitution says.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
The Republicans are stupid . . .
Could have stopped right there - they have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and a policy of preemptive surrender.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »
He might be nominating a Cuban-American lady.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/19/what-you-need-to-know-about-barbara-lagoa-418437

Could only be more perfect if she was Mexican-American.  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2020, 11:26:18 AM »
He might be nominating a Cuban-American lady.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/19/what-you-need-to-know-about-barbara-lagoa-418437

Could only be more perfect if she was Mexican-American.  =D

Cool. Another wise Latina.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2020, 01:29:03 PM »
Cool. Another wise Latina.

<sjw>You mean Latinx, right?</sjw>
 :rofl: :rofl:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
<sjw>You mean Latinx, right?</sjw>
 :rofl: :rofl:
I thought it would be Latinxx. (For a man, Latinxy.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
Could have stopped right there - they have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and a policy of preemptive surrender.  =(

Because that is what controlled opposition does.  They are not stupid.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2020, 09:56:27 PM »
Regarding Amy Barrett and guns, I normally wouldn't link to a Slate article, but Slate believes Barrett would cause the streets to run red with blood. That's a thumbs up in my book.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/amy-coney-barrett-ginsburg-scotus-future.html

It’s quite possible, perhaps even likely, that within a year of her confirmation, Americans will be forbidden from terminating a pregnancy in 21 states—but permitted to purchase assault weapons and carry firearms in public in every state.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »
So Barrett is good on guns but not so good on the much larger number of social issues that I care about.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2020, 10:10:21 PM »
It’s quite possible, perhaps even likely, that within a year of her confirmation, Americans will be forbidden from terminating a pregnancy in 21 states—but permitted to purchase assault weapons and carry firearms in public in every state.

So they're saying the SCOTUS with ACB would repeal the NFA? BRING IT ON!

Oh, wait -- they're using their definition of "assault weapon" -- i.e. anything that shoots more than one bullet per week.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2020, 10:30:19 PM »
So Barrett is good on guns but not so good on the much larger number of social issues that I care about.

The dogma lives loudly within her.  :P

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2020, 10:36:54 PM »

Liberalism on social issues has gotten us baby chop shops, normalization of pedophilia, “bake the *expletive deleted*ing cake”, 11 year olds deciding their gender, rioting in the streets, and a bunch of screaming freaks trying to hold the country hostage. Normal America is getting sick of bowing down to this *expletive deleted*it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »
A few years ago, a lot of people were calling for the Republican Party to drop the "social issues," and just focus on economics. Then Breitbart popularized the phrase, "politics is downstream from culture." Now, I hear a lot of talk about how we can't win the political battle if we lose the culture. So we won a lot of political arguments, but we'll lose everything now, unless we can turn back the cultural tide.

So it seems like the "social issues" are vital to a healthy politics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:31:24 AM by fistful »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 12:44:55 AM »
Keep getting the impression that the media is acting like RBG was the first woman on the court
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2020, 01:30:14 AM »
Keep getting the impression that the media is acting like RBG was the first woman on the court

Or at least the only one.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »
Protecting children from not only being aborted but from being used, abused and taken advantage of by adults is a hallmark of any good civilized nation.

Replacing Justice Ginsberg with a judge who can be trusted to protect children would be the most apropos and just decision President Trump can make.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
You are right Ron.

Killing innocent people, in or out of the womb is a monstrous evil.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »
Well this is certainly interesting...

Nancy Pelosi is threatening to bring an impeachment action against President Trump...

As a move to stop the Supreme Court nomination process.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-dems-impeachment-supreme-court

WT Flying F???
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2020, 11:52:37 AM »
Well this is certainly interesting...

Nancy Pelosi is threatening to bring an impeachment action against President Trump...

As a move to stop the Supreme Court nomination process.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-dems-impeachment-supreme-court

WT Flying F???

It's expected because it's Nancy Pelosi.  Then again, she seems to be showing signs of suffering mental issues similar to Joe Biden.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.