Author Topic: Jesus, I'm positively gobsmacked...  (Read 1115 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Jesus, I'm positively gobsmacked...
« on: September 22, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
Mitt Romney has come out in FAVOR of moving ahead with filling the vacancy on the Supreme Court.

That came through my phone app, but I can't find it on the Foxnews website yet.

I was almost certain that he was going to join Collins of Maine in proving, yet once again, that he's not a Republican.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Jesus, I'm positively gobsmacked...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »
That's what he's saying today . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
That's what he's saying today . . . . .

I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't though exactly that...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Call me paranoid, but he said he was in favor of holding the vote, not actually filling the position....politicians and weasel words.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/22/romney-supports-holding-a-vote-on-next-supreme-court-nominee-419898

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »
I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't though exactly that...

We all appear to be of like mind in this.

There's still plenty of time for the backstabber to stab us in the back.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
We all appear to be of like mind in this.

There's still plenty of time for the backstabbers to stab us in the back.

fixed and QFT
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »
Here's him talking about it:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1308406459995168776

If you listen top what he says here at face value, at least half Trump's nominees, and the one he will probably choose, fit Romney's criteria. As others have said though, I reckon we need to read between the lines.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »
As I posted in the other thread on this subject: "Yes, Mitt Romney will vote on a nominee, but he will vote against.  He's playing the issue both ways."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
On the other, other, other hand, even Mitt Romney must realize he can't stop Trump from being awesome on judicial appointments. It's too late for that. So he might as well get some gratitude votes, and an even more originalist court out of the whole deal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
On the other, other, other hand, even Mitt Romney must realize he can't stop Trump from being awesome on judicial appointments. It's too late for that. So he might as well get some gratitude votes, and an even more originalist court out of the whole deal.

No matter what else, even if that clip of his was pandering, he made a good point about how long the SC (not to mention circuit courts) has been leaning left and that all this does is equalize it out a little bit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »
Call me paranoid, but he said he was in favor of holding the vote, not actually filling the position....politicians and weasel words.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/22/romney-supports-holding-a-vote-on-next-supreme-court-nominee-419898

My first thought was that he'd vote ... against any Trump nominee.

Romney is less than half the man his father was.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »
The scorpion and the frog...