Author Topic: More computer woes -- Bluetooth edition  (Read 614 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More computer woes -- Bluetooth edition
« on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
I've gotten my desktop computer and a couple of notebooks updated to Windows 10, release 2004 (just in time to deal with 2010, which should arrive soon). Today I decided it was time to bring the little 8" NuVision Windows tablet up to date. I have it set up with building codes as PDFs for reference on construction sites. Since I haven't been on any sites since the coronavirus pandemic started, I haven't been using the tablet. I don't remember when I last fired it up, but it was awhile ago.

To my surprise, when I booted it up it started doing some updates and what to my wondering eyes did appear but release 2004. I didn't have to open the settings panel and tell it to do anything -- it did it all on its own. (Such a smart little computer -- except ...)

However, when I use it at home, especially for adding or moving files around, installing and updating software, and such tasks I prefer to use it like a computer rather than a tablet. I have a Bluetooth mouse and a Bluetooth keyboard that I use with it when I'm doing such housekeeping tasks. For me, it just makes life a lot easier. Until today.

Today, after the release 2004 update was finished and the computer restarted, the Bluetooth mouse connected but the Bluetooth keyboard didn't. Looking in "Settings" it said it was connected -- but when I opened Word and tried to type something, nothing happened. I removed the keyboard through the Settings ==> Devices ==> Bluetooth control, and reinstalled it. It said it paired, then it said it was connected -- but it didn't work. I went through that routine three times. Surprise, surprise -- the result was the same every time. (Yes, I know ...)

The keyboard is an Anker brand. The batteries test strong, but I tried a different set anyway -- no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: More computer woes -- Bluetooth edition
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 03:13:08 AM »
Update: the keyboard pairs and functions with a Microsoft Surface tablet, so the keyboard itself isn't the problem. For some reason, it's not able to communicate with the smaller tablet.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
Maybe a bluetooth driver incompatibility of some kind? Not common, but also not unheard of.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »
It must be a driver issue. If I remove both devices and reinstall, whichever I pair up first -- works. The second device goes through the motions, and the screen reports it as connected, but the blue light on the device keeps flashing and it doesn't work. I tried it both ways -- whichever is paired first is the only one that works.

Both devices pair and work on a Microsoft Surface.

So now I have to try to get help from Microsoft. That's not going to be fun.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
Os the BIOS updated?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 02:28:01 AM »
Os the BIOS updated?

Not by me, so I guess not.

FWIW, I actually got through to a live body at Microsoft tech support. He initiated a remote session whereby he could run my computer. He verified the problem and spent an hour and a half fiddling with drivers and settings, and downloading more updates, with the end result that nothing changed. So he has escalated it to a higher level and someone is supposed to get back to me Friday or Saturday evening.

I hope they find the solution. It's not an expensive tablet but I rather like it. However, not being able to connect a mouse and a keyboard when at home is going to be a cramp in the tail. I'm researching alternatives.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
I'm in a state of shock.

The higher level tech from Microsoft called back at 19:00 on Saturday, right on time. He had the case file open and had read it. I really don't know what he did, because he did it so fast, but he initiated a remote control session whereby he ran my tablet. He went into some device setting, did something, and now the mouse and the keyboard are playing together again.

The difference between this assistance and the brain-dead [alleged] "help" I see for software support on the Microsoft support forum is staggering. This guy actually fixed the problem!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »
That is surprising!

Was there any cost involved in the live support?

Will they tell you what he did, so you can fix it yourself next time?

His speed repairing it makes me think this isn't a one-off thing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
No cost (that I know of -- I didn't agree to pay anything).

I asked him what he did, and he just said "I reestablished the connection." Succinct, but not helpful.

When I fired up the tablet again late last night, I realized that the mouse and keyboard work -- but the screen no longer responds to tactile input. If I disconnect the mouse and keyboard, I can use tactile inputs again. That's not what I expected, and if I had realized that when I was on the phone with the guy I would have asked him to fix it -- but I think I can live with it.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 06:59:34 PM »
I didn't expect MS to not charge for their services - that's a bit of a shocker too.  A bit more info would have been a good thing, wonder if you contacted them now if they'd be more forthcoming.

Could you dispute the conclusion of the case?  Get 'em back to fix it 100%.