Author Topic: Dropbox?  (Read 529 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Dropbox?
« on: September 24, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
I'm running Dropbox on (among other computers) a small Windows 10 tablet that has a 32 GB flash memory "hard drive." To supplement that, I have installed a 64 GB microSD card for additional storage but, in general, you can't install programs to that, so it's largely unused while the C:\ drive is filling up.

I know it's possible to move where Dropbox is located on each computer. I'd like to move it from the C: drive to the microSD card, which shows up as drive D:. However, the Dropbox description of how to move its location suggests not doing that:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

Has anyone tried running Dropbox on a drive other than the C: drive? If so -- were you successful, or did it crash?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MikeB

• friend
Re: Dropbox?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »
I'm running Dropbox on (among other computers) a small Windows 10 tablet that has a 32 GB flash memory "hard drive." To supplement that, I have installed a 64 GB microSD card for additional storage but, in general, you can't install programs to that, so it's largely unused while the C:\ drive is filling up.

I know it's possible to move where Dropbox is located on each computer. I'd like to move it from the C: drive to the microSD card, which shows up as drive D:. However, the Dropbox description of how to move its location suggests not doing that:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

Has anyone tried running Dropbox on a drive other than the C: drive? If so -- were you successful, or did it crash?

If that SD card is never removed it should be fine. It should act like a regular drive. Removable media that is actually removed and replaced with other media often would be problematic for something like Dropbox that is trying to sync a folder/location that changes on the fly.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Dropbox?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
If that SD card is never removed it should be fine. It should act like a regular drive. Removable media that is actually removed and replaced with other media often would be problematic for something like Dropbox that is trying to sync a folder/location that changes on the fly.

Understood. I don't treat that card as removable or portable at all. I put it there to act like a second hard drive, and I don't expect to ever remove it since 64 GB is supposedly the maximum the thing will recognize (although I have read reports that people have used 128 GB cards successfully). What threw me  was the reference in the Dropbox discussion about [micro]SD cards being seen by the computer as "external" storage and therefore not working with Dropbox. I know my Samsung phone and tablet (both Android) consider a microSD card as external storage, but I'm on a Windows tablet and I don't think it differentiates between internal and external. The card appears as drive D: in Windows File Explorer, so I think it's okay ... but I was hoping for confirmation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design