Author Topic: Hacking Your Mind  (Read 607 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Hacking Your Mind
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
PBS has a 4 part series that looks interesting. Robert Caldini is involved so it will be heavy on the science of our perceptions and how we make decisions.

I've only watched a 4 minute promo so far.

Follow host, Jacob Ward, (The TODAY Show), from the farthest corners of the globe to the inside of your mind as he sets out to discover we are not who we think we are. We imagine our conscious minds make most decisions, but in reality we go through much of our lives on “autopilot”. And marketers and social media companies rely on it. Hacking Your Mind offers you an autopilot owner’s manual.

https://www.pbs.org/show/hacking-your-mind/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Hacking Your Mind
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
Might be interesting to watch.  

I would say "learned behavior" not autopilot.  Thinking about driving.  You have done it thousands of times and learned through trial and error so most of the process does not require conscious thought.  However, if someone could observe your habits, they could figure out your driving patterns pretty fast and make predictions or devise ways to lead you into specific actions or routes.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
Might be interesting to watch. 

I would say "learned behavior" not autopilot.  Sort of like driving.  You have done it thousands of times so most of the process does not require conscious thought.  However, if someone could observe your habits, they could figure out your driving patterns pretty fast and make predictions or devise ways to lead you into specific actions or routes. 

Halfway through episode one and I've encountered plenty of unsupportable assumptions and/or unfounded presuppositions. But I expected that because, well, we all have them in order to function.

Not everyone chooses their assumptions, many have just absorbed them from the surrounding culture.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:40 AM »
-Episode 1-

Both fascinating and Leftist propaganda all in one.

When they examine implicit bias among cops when pulling over blacks vs whites how come they never examine the implicit biases of the drivers and how that effects the interaction?

It's hard, I admit,  but YOU can unpack the propaganda and learn the methods used upon and against us.

The enemy always seems to telegraph their plans and methods if we are willing to actually listen to what they are saying and unpack their words ie propaganda.

This shows how they are manipulating you.

Que surprise! They accuse others of exactly what they are doing. Listen to what they say and then analyze what they are doing.

I recommend listening only. The imagery is full blown propaganda and top notch visual/emotional manipulation.

They rely heavily on appeals to authority (no contrary authorities) and the likability of the host who accepts everything said at face value, empathizes with it and reinforces their conclusions without asking any hard questions like "implicit biases of drivers pulled over".

I almost regret posting this thread as it is so slick.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
Research for at least the last ten years has been indicating our decisions are all at the core emotional, even when an individual is consciously, purposefully trying to make a "rational" decision.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
Research for at least the last ten years has been indicating our decisions are all at the core emotional, even when an individual is consciously, purposefully trying to make a "rational" decision.

Yes!

I recommend The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion" by Jonathan Haidt if anyone here has not read it.

The role of our intellect is to justify decisions already made by our emotions and values.