Author Topic: Biscuits  (Read 10165 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Biscuits
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2023, 03:16:45 PM »
Last weekend was...

Two cups of King Arthur "bread" flour - higher gluten
slightly mounded tablespoon of clabber girl baking powder
half a tablespoon of salt
half a tablespoon of granulated sugar
1 stick of frozen butter, grated in the food processor
3/4-7/8 cup regular whole milk

I think I've got it. They seemed to reheat decently too.

Making a triple batch this afternoon.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2023, 03:25:42 PM »
Why high-gluten flour?  Biscuits are typically made with low-gluten flour.  I figure you have a reason  =)
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2023, 03:56:21 PM »
These hang together a little better for breakfast sammies... And the percentage of gluten isn't that different from "regular" flour. I may even try the "we have all the glutens" stuff...

I did a batch with some cake flour that basically would just fall apart. Light, flaky, and... you couldn't open 'em up to put the stuff inside.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2023, 04:39:10 PM »
From what my brother & S-i-L have been telling me, you might want to lay in some additional supplies.  I just bought a new bag of Pillsbury bread flour ($4.69/4lbs.) as their is likely going to be a shortage of flour soon.  With Ukraine's wheat not getting out, there may be shortages and/or price hikes.
They have even said canned vegetables may be in short supply soon.  They stocked up with multiple dozens of cans of peas, corn, and mixed vegetable as WM has had them on sale for less than $0.70/can recently (may still be on sale).
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »
The King Arthur flour was fairly pricey over at the White People's Grocery... I'm gonna hit a food service store (Gordon's) and pick up a couple of bags of restaurant bread flour, and I need to get another bag of Three Ladies rice next time I make it to the Viet store...
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2023, 05:33:17 PM »
Yeah, the KA flour was $7.99 IIRC.  :O
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2023, 05:38:23 PM »
Other than having butter instead of lard and whole milk in place of the little more acidic buttermilk it looks like a good recipe. As long as you are happy then all is right in your biscuit world.

bob