Author Topic: Supreme Court term limits?  (Read 894 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Supreme Court term limits?
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
https://ca.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-termlimits-idUSKCN26F3L3

IMHO, this idea is the epitome of hypocrisy. The Congress should enact term limits on representatives and senators before even considering trying to impose term limits on Supreme Court justices.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Supreme Court term limits?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
https://ca.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-termlimits-idUSKCN26F3L3

IMHO, this idea is the epitome of hypocrisy.

100% agree with that. I haven't studied the pros and cons of SCJ term limits, but don't think I'd be opposed. SCJs are one group where I think longer term limits would be better than shorter limits.

I'd like to see the gung ho younger Rs stick a "poison pill" in the bill that adds term limits for House and Senate. And those can be shorter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:07:40 AM »
I do believe Glenn Reynolds floated the idea of the state legislatures picking one or two Supreme Court Justices each.

I though it sounded like a good idea... though really, eliminating the popular vote for Senators would have a similar effect.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »

If the dems are proposing this maybe another sign they think they going to loose in Nov?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
It can't be done via legislation.  An amendment to the U. S. Constitution would need to be passed in the appropriate manner.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 11:17:42 AM »
It can't be done via legislation.  An amendment to the U. S. Constitution would need to be passed in the appropriate manner.
Seems like they're trying to weasel around that. I don't think it works.
The bill seeks to avoid constitutional concerns by exempting current justices from the 18-year rule. Those appointed under term limits would become “senior” upon retirement and rotate to lower courts.

“That’s perfectly consistent with their judicial independence and having a lifetime salary and a lifetime appointment,” Khanna said.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
"I have a pen and a phone"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »

Article III.
Section. 1.

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

We just need to clarify what constitutes "good behaviour".  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
We just need to clarify what constitutes "good behaviour".  =D

Veerrrrry dangerous in a politically charged environment.  Especially if demorats are in power. 
I don't really think it works that way, though.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
Much as I have misgivings about messing with the Constitution by adding term limits, I think they make a lot of sense for the SCOTUS. People live forever these days.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife