Author Topic: Television - 1: Internet - 0  (Read 591 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Television - 1: Internet - 0
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »
Sounds like the TV is violating US FCC part 15.  I bet the UK has a similar bit of regulation.

I hope the broadband company bought the poor fellow a new TV after asking him not to use the old one any more.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
I don't remember the brand, but I had a vacuum cleaner that would throw bits at my Apple 2e.

You could watch the sceen fill  up with "//////////" or "HHHHHHHHHH" or the character of the day.

This was in a mobile home I had which had aluminum wiring. I subsequently went through it and pigtailed all the Al to Cu connections, which ended the problem. 

But I pigtailed the connections because of the publicity about aluminum wiring and fire danger, not the bit-throwing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:34:16 AM »
So is it the TV or the lack of shielding on the broadband wiring? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »
I don't know, but I'm not enamored of twisted pair "shielding," where the wires' external fields supposedly cancel each other; same sort of thing with impinging external fields on the wires --the induced voltages tend to cancel each other.

All supposedly.

But it's cheap.

Old TVs can generate a lot of RFI, especially from the anode voltage circuits and the horizontal oscillator toobs.  

The  horizontal deflection sawtooth wave is super-rich with harmonics.  Note the remark about "single high-level impulse noise."  Ayup, the horizontal oscillator is pretty powerful.  When I was sort of* servicing TV sets, that high-power tube was an immediate "person of interest."

To me, it's stretching things that the TV's RFI could affect the whole village's system unless he was real close to some kind of node like the telephone pole where the internet comes into the town.

RFI= "Radio Frequency Interference."

Terry

* I've told that story before.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:26:36 PM by 230RN »