Author Topic: Replacing the battery on a Kindle...  (Read 2128 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Replacing the battery on a Kindle...
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »
Let us know how you like it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:44 AM »
So far, so good. Got my books transferred over from the old Kindle, or at least some of them.

I love the screen light. Very easy on the eyes.

Not too crazy about the touch screen, but it's working OK.

The layout is a lot busier than my old Kindle, so that's taking getting used to.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 09:30:53 AM »
I've just ordered an old Kindle Keyboard as a backup for when my Kindle 4 finally dies.

So far, I really don't like the touchscreens of the new ones, though a light would be nice.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
One of the great things I found when going to the light was all the areas I could use the Kindle comfortably. With the old Kindle, I pretty much had to sit under the same lighting as I would with a real book. With the paperwhite, I can read anywhere with no eyestrain. It was really nice when I still traveled a lot for reading on the plane and wherever.

This talk about the Kindle keyboard had me wanting to dig mine out from wherever it is, except I can't find it. I don't know if I lost it when I moved or what. Dang it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
"With the old Kindle, I pretty much had to sit under the same lighting as I would with a real book."

Yep, that's one of the only complaints I had about my Kindle. I liked to use it in bed before going to sleep, and the reading lighting in my bedroom really isn't the best. I made do OK, but it took me a long time to figure out what combination of light bulbs and light placement on the nightstands would be best. What I ended up with I really don't like for a variety of reasons. Now that I have the lighted Kindle, I can go back to bulbs that I like and which are more suitable for the room.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
So, with the new Kindle, I decided to, in fact, go and change the bulbs in my bedroom.

I went with these from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2NHJWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Antique-style squirrel cage LEDs in the 2700K range (warm white). But, these bulbs have an amber coating on them to give them an even more yellow, warm, almost firelight effect.

I put two in nightstand lamps and two in the pillar lamps in the corners on the other side of the room.

The light color and warmth is simply incredible. So inviting, so relaxing.

They're 60-watt equivalent, so 240-WE light level in the bedroom.

But, for when I need a whiter, more task oriented light, I left the four straight white LEDs in the ceiling fan unit.

I'm seriously thinking about updating the bulbs in the living room to the same color, but if I do I'll probably go 100-WE to get the extra light levels.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
Well that's embarrassing...

I was looking at ordering some more of the bulbs that I described below when I realized that I... ordered the wrong bulb among the ones I was looking at.

These are actual incandescents, not LEDs. I wondered why they were putting out so much heat when I put them into my nightstand lights.

I need to make sure that my lamps are rated for them. I think they are, but not 100% sure.

And I need to keep better track of what I'm ordering next time.

Still love the color light they put out, though.