Author Topic: That will be a big boom!  (Read 1872 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: That will be a big boom!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »

I understand there are truckloads of it shipped around in agricultural areas for fertilizer and I believe also for killing weeds or something.

I remember there being a problem with farm storage since the "hippies" used it to make some kind of drugs and would steal it.

Anhydrous ammonia. Fertilizer (nitrogen fixation). When meth heads found a way to make their signature product with it, the out-in-the-open tank farms previously so common in every ag community suddenly became gated and guarded militarized zones.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »
Anhydrous ammonia. Fertilizer (nitrogen fixation). When meth heads found a way to make their signature product with it, the out-in-the-open tank farms previously so common in every ag community suddenly became gated and guarded militarized zones.

Brad

Not in Iowa, tons of bulk and nurse tanks not being kept in locked enclousures. Now many of the nurse tanks have locks on them that take a lot of effort to open, also at one time there was an additive that made the NH3 useless to the meth cooks. Actually cracking down on distribution of pseudoephedrine has helped curb that form of meth cooking in the US.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
I understand there are truckloads of it shipped around in agricultural areas for fertilizer and I believe also for killing weeds or something.

Fertilizer yes, several different forms, gas stored under pressure as a liquid (anhydrous ammonia), liquid (28% and 32%) and dry.

AMS (Ammonia Sulfate) is used as a water conditioner with certain herbicides, it helps condition hard water. Softer water makes a lot of herbicides, like glyphosate work better. Side effect, too much AMS and you can burn the leaves of the plants you aren't trying to kill.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536