Author Topic: Orange County (CA) Sheriff deputies: "We didn't know it was illegal"  (Read 911 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-sheriffs-deputies-illegal-evidence-police-reports

Two former Orange County sheriff’s deputies told a California grand jury they did not know it was against the law to falsify police documents, an offense that led to their firing and conviction amid a widespread department “evidence scandal” that came to light last year, according to a local report.

Bryce Richmond Simpson, 31, and Joseph Anthony Atkinson Jr., 39, testified to a grand jury on Sept. 21 that they were never told it was illegal to write in police reports that they had submitted evidence when they actually had not, the Orange County Register recently reported, citing transcripts of their testimony. Deputies were typically expected to submit evidence by the end of their workdays.

Great.  Just freakin' great.

Were any innocent people convicted because of this? 
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Orange County (CA) Sheriff deputies: "We didn't know it was illegal"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »
To be fair, the allegation is not that they falsified the existence of evidence, the complaint is that they did not book the evidence immediately (in some cases weeks later).

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-sheriffs-deputies-illegal-evidence-police-reports

Great.  Just freakin' great.

Were any innocent people convicted because of this? 

Gee, I thought ignorance of the law was no excuse....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Gee, I thought ignorance of the law was no excuse....

History has shown that sometimes depends on which side of a particular law you're on
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
To be fair, the allegation is not that they falsified the existence of evidence, the complaint is that they did not book the evidence immediately (in some cases weeks later).

From the article, it sounds like some evidence was never booked.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »
From the article, it sounds like some evidence was never booked.
In that case their screw ups are more likely to cause guilty people to go free than convict innocent people.