Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Sellout  (Read 1076 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Smith & Wesson Sellout
« on: September 28, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
Twenty years ago this had the attention of all the folks who hung out on these sites.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20000320/the-smith-wesson-sellout

HUD strongarmed S&W into an agreement that required them to not have guns sold at any dealer that didn't meet a list of stipulations, stipulations that applied also to other manufacturers.  A lot of folks and dealers responded by boycotting S&W.

Does anyone know where this conflict stands now?  Are gun buyers still boycotting S&W?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Smith & Wesson Sellout
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:16:26 PM »
Some are still boycotting, but their M&P line (rifles and pistols) are selling pretty well. What happened back when they were owned by a British company is mostly a historical footnote these days.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
But their revolvers still have The Lock. (IIRC, there may be a very few that don't.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
Some are still boycotting, but their M&P line (rifles and pistols) are selling pretty well. What happened back when they were owned by a British company is mostly a historical footnote these days.

Essentially, the boycott ended when that British company sold S&W to Saf-T-Hammer and Clinton left office.  I don't know if the actual agreement had a sunset date, but there is not a binding contract with the government, AFAIK.  S&W lost a ton of money in that deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson#Acquisition
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »
But their revolvers still have The Lock. (IIRC, there may be a very few that don't.)

"The Lock" was a strong factor in taking a pass on a shiny new 586 a couple of months ago.

I did pick up a brand new 642(no bloody dash) several years ago that is sans lock.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »
I participated for a time in the boycott, but in the late 90’s, maybe early 2000’s I purchased one of the 340PD Scandium J frames with the lock. I think I locked it once to see how it worked. I’m not sure if I even know where the key is anymore. I suppose there could be some possible failure with the lock, but I think the risk is extremely low. I’ve fired thousands of rounds through it and carried it daily for a few years and never had an issue.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »
I still have a couple of guns with a hole where a lock should be. I don't factor in the boycott anymore, but then again I haven't bought much in a long time.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »
Old owners & past history. Long past due for people to move on.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 12:04:39 AM »
Old owners & past history. Long past due for people to move on.

I'm not carrying a grudge.  I just want to know how it turned out.

Might be a good lesson for the future.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
I'm not carrying a grudge.  I just want to know how it turned out.

Might be a good lesson for the future.

Summary: S&W lost a ton of money, the parent company sold S&W for a huge loss, the Clinton agreement never did anything and finally dissolved.  The boycott worked.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »
Thanks!  Perfect summary, and perfect result.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
I banged the anti-S&W drum for a long time.

A guy I knew locally was a lawyer for the company representing S&W here in DC.

S&W's management blindsided the lawyers when they signed onto the agreement against their very strong advice.

S&W signed onto the agreement, in part, because they were offered a carrot to become the primary firearms supplier to a bunch of Federal agencies -- basically no bid contracts worth millions. Only they found out months later than that promise wasn't binding on the government, but the agreement was binding on S&W.

And by that time they were deep in the throes of the boycott and losing money hand over fist. That's when Thompkins finally decided to pull the pin and sell the company at a huge loss. Not a huge deal for them, though, because they had the "quality" of their Murray lawn care products division to fall back on (Murray's quality sucked then, and sucks now, by the way, never buy a Murray just because they're crap).

Worked out fine for the lawyer I knew, though. He went on to bigger and better things, and a few years ago was appointed to the Federal appeals court by President Trump.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.