Author Topic: Amazon Drivers and Dog Tasers  (Read 1421 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Amazon Drivers and Dog Tasers
« on: September 28, 2020, 08:20:47 PM »
So here's a new one on me, or maybe the Amazon driver was making it up. A driver I haven't seen before delivered a package today, and as usual with all delivery drivers, Steve walks up wagging his tail in hopes of a belly rub, or thanks to the UPS and Fedex drivers spoiling him, a dog biscuit. I happened to be outside and told the driver not to worry, other than Steve maybe wanting to go for a ride with him. No issues, and he spent a bunch of time playing with Steve, but he also said he was glad to meet friendly dogs, because not all of them are.

Then he pulled out what looked like a stun gun and said that for the dogs that aren't friendly, Amazon is now giving their drivers "dog tasers". He activated it, and  I didn't here a sparky sound, but it had the two lights up front, and he also said that when you turn it on, there's a button that makes a sound that dogs don't like. Sure enough, Steve moved way away when he turned it on. He also said he used it on a Heeler that bit him the other day.

I don't know if he was giving me a story about it actually being a stun gun, or if Amazon gives them to drivers. That last part sounded fishy, because it seems it would open Amazon up to lawsuits. Seems more like he's doing this on his own. My neighbor's daughter delivers for Amazon as well. The next time she delvers a package to me I'm going to ask if it's a story or what.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: Amazon Drivers and Dog Tasers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:32:58 PM »
Can't decide if that's better than good old mace.  I'd rather be tazed,  pepper spray stays with you.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
I don't know if he was giving me a story about it actually being a stun gun, or if Amazon gives them to drivers. That last part sounded fishy, because it seems it would open Amazon up to lawsuits. Seems more like he's doing this on his own.

Could be his supervisor is giving them out on his own accord. If so, terrible opsec.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
I have heard dogs don't like the sparky flash and sound, but I never tried it.  I gave one to my sister-in-law once since she jogs a lot.  I don't know if she ever used it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 10:15:35 PM »
It was probably ultrasonic. It may also be electric shock on contact.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 11:29:25 PM »
Best I could get from my company was dog pepper spray. Always kept a can handy when I was traveling at night. Used it on dogs twice and was seconds away from using on an aggressive panhandler once. A sheriff's deputy rolled in the convenience store lot and the begger beat feet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
Best I could get from my company was dog pepper spray. Always kept a can handy when I was traveling at night. Used it on dogs twice and was seconds away from using on an aggressive panhandler once. A sheriff's deputy rolled in the convenience store lot and the begger beat feet.
Years ago I was walking downtown in [city name redacted] with my mother when we were accosted by an aggressive panhandler.

Dog pepper spray (the kind mailmen used) was effective.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain