Author Topic: Security guard who killed church shooter will not be indicted  (Read 1063 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Security guard who killed church shooter will not be indicted
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:56:07 PM »
IIRC this was the one that the whole thing (or the important parts anyway) was caught on video.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
Does Texas have a law that all shootings need to go before a grand jury?  This seems like the case for a no-bill if ever there was one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »
Does Texas have a law that all shootings need to go before a grand jury?  This seems like the case for a no-bill if ever there was one.

That's what I was thinking. That was a pretty cut and dry example of self-defense. If someone could go to jail for what he did, God help us all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »

From what I read elsewhere, yes.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »

Standard in Texas, all killings (homicide, justified or not) go before a grand jury.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »

Standard in Texas, all killings (homicide, justified or not) go before a grand jury.

I like to think of it as a victory lap for The Hero of White Settlement.  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »
I am wondering why the hell it took so long for this to go before a grand jury.  Did they forget?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
I am wondering why the hell it took so long for this to go before a grand jury.  Did they forget?
No, they have a very heavy caseload, don’t meet every day,  and COVID.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
A good prosecutor will take any case like this to grand jury and not just throw it out.  Reason is that a no bill handed down by the grand jury is a useful thing for the shooter to have on record if/when a civil suit is filed.  Most suits allege both the intentional tort (wrongful death) as well as a reckless and/or negligent tort.  The no bill is essentially a finding that the shooting was both intentional and justified.   Helps the shooter's attorney with a motion to dismiss the suit.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
Thanks for that clarification, T.O.M.  I had always suspected that to be the case, so it's nice to have the confirmation.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
Thanks, T.O.M.  As I suspected, glad to have confirmation.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.