Author Topic: 2024: Republican Majority But More Far-Left Dems  (Read 1500 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: 2024: Republican Majority But More Far-Left Dems
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 09:23:51 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/republicans-will-finally-get-their-wish-when-roe-v-wade-is-overturned-theyll-come-to-regret-it

Interesting article that Republicans for decades could cozy up to the religious right on abortion since the prospect of Roe being overturned was considered nil.  Now that it has been overturned, will this come back to bite the Republicans on the ankle?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »
"Now that it has been overturned, will this come back to bite the Republicans on the ankle? "

Not anymore than getting into bed with the far far left has bitten the Dems.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 11:01:01 AM »
Interesting article that Republicans for decades could cozy up to the religious right on abortion since the prospect of Roe being overturned was considered nil.  Now that it has been overturned, will this come back to bite the Republicans on the ankle?

The Republican Party on the national level didn't even have the balls to defund Planned Parenthood.  Overall, they don't care about stopping human abortion (with some obvious exceptions).  On the state level, the case is different in some places.  My state passed an abortion ban, which will hopefully actually take effect soon.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 12:09:54 PM »
The Republican Party on the national level didn't even have the balls to defund Planned Parenthood.  Overall, they don't care about stopping human abortion (with some obvious exceptions).  On the state level, the case is different in some places.  My state passed an abortion ban, which will hopefully actually take effect soon.
Regardless of someone's stance on whether abortion should be limited or banned, I think most all Republicans didn't want to pay for it.  The spineless R congressional leaders could never stick to their guns enough to do stuff like that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 10:11:04 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/republicans-will-finally-get-their-wish-when-roe-v-wade-is-overturned-theyll-come-to-regret-it

The author's view on where Americans stand on abortion is simplistic, to say the least. It may be true that the "extreme" position of protecting the life of every unborn person is beyond what most Americans want; but the extremes (no scare quotes needed) on the other side are hardly popular, either.

If anything, scrapping Roe is going to mean both parties will be more accountable to what their constituents actually want (the horror).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
but the extremes (no scare quotes needed) on the other side are hardly popular, either.

I'm not even sure of that anymore. Regarding this, which I posted in the RvW thread:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/05/18/abortion-advocate-wont-make-a-distinction-between-a-baby-whos-one-hour-old-and-one-still-in-the-birth-canal/

Basically asking the difference between a baby an hour before and an hour after birth.

I've been playing in Reddit lately, and they keep sending me "topics of interest" emails in topics I have no interest in. Today I got this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/ut5b4m/representative_mike_johnson_asking_the_important/

It's apparently a topic where people can rant against whatever non-lib talking point. It appears that 99% of the comments are making fun of Johnson for asking a "ridiculous question". I don't know the demographics of Reddit. I have said here on APS that I believe that the majority of the pro-abortion people are in the "first trimester, or cases of rape and incest, and not for convenient birth control" camp. Reading that Reddit thread has me rethinking that.

Maybe the demographics there are college kids, Twitter/Google/Facebook employees, etc. and not mainstream democrats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."