Author Topic: Presidential Debate #2  (Read 3064 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Presidential Debate #2
« on: October 08, 2020, 08:47:15 AM »
Looks like debate #2 is off. They made it virtual and Trump just now told Maria Bartiromo that he won't participate in a virtual debate where the moderator has remote control and where Biden can be surrounded by his handlers to feed him responses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Presidential Debate #2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »
The media spin will be is that Trump is afraid to debate Biden
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:03:44 AM »
Biden will say Trump lost the first debate and is scared to lose another.
Trump will say he won the first debate despite being unfair so now they're trying to rig it even more.

I think both campaigns will get about equal mileage out of it. Not having the debate isn't going to really hurt either of them, although having it probably wouldn't make much difference either.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
I think there still might be a debate #2. I'm sure Trump is using "won't participate" as a bargaining chip to get the commission to change to another format. Whether they do so or not, we shall see. I do agree that if #2 goes the same as #1, no great loss.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
This is a bad move for Trump in my opinion.  The optics are bad all around.  Yes, most rational, thinking voters would consider the debates pretty much worthless political theater.  But rational, thinking voters are in the minority.
Firstly, this decision makes Trump look like he is willing to spread the beer virus by demanding a live debate.  Yes, rational people know he wouldn't spread the virus, but there are too many irrational folks that he needs to persuade.  He just gave them up.
Second, this makes him look like he is afraid to debate Biden.  We know this is not the case, but the perception of many low information, emotional, and single-issue voters will be negative.  These are people he needs to convince to vote for him, and he just kissed a large number of them off.
Trump lost much of the influence he might have had on still undecided voters and any Democrats that might have been thinking about voting for him.  His campaign is at a point where he needs every possible vote he can garner.  His already slim chance of being re-elected is growing slimmer by the day with decisions like this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Biden lost the first debate, and is trying to dodge the second.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
His handlers don't want to take a chance on Biden catching C19 until after the election if you catch my drift
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
Now Trump is calling for staging the last two debates as in-person events, just push them back a week from their original dates.  A virtual debate is still a no-go.
A good move, but this is how he should have handled the virtual debate issue from the start.  I still believe he will suffer some net loss of votes because of how this whole thing was dealt with.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »
Now Trump is calling for staging the last two debates as in-person events, just push them back a week from their original dates.  A virtual debate is still a no-go.
A good move, but this is how he should have handled the virtual debate issue from the start.  I still believe he will suffer some net loss of votes because of how this whole thing was dealt with.

So another day of business as usual for Team Trump.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
The President is now Covid-negative.

But Biden will still chicken out of the second debate, and Trump will be seen as the bad guy.  ;/

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 07:04:03 PM »
The last debate will be the last time Trump is ever on a debate stage so this opens up a nice possibility for him since he doesn't have to worry about being invited back, or that no one will agree to debate him or what some new set of rules are or who the moderator might be.

So Trump should ignore the rules entirely and just go on the attack and never let Biden get a word in.

Push Joe to the point where he breaks.

Imagine pushing him so hard he cannot get up the will to respond or even has to leave the stage.

That would be epic.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:19:43 PM »
The last debate will be the last time Trump is ever on a debate stage
Assuming he doesn't back out of the last one too. There are still some rule changes coming (probably mic control) that he may not find to his liking.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Assuming he doesn't back out of the last one too. There are still some rule changes coming (probably mic control) that he may not find to his liking.

The last debate (and first) or the last debate that happens in the future?

How much more imbalanced can they make the debate format in their attempt to take down Trump? M

Maybe they will give Biden the option to have three Democrats represent him and they along with the moderator can debate Trump, who gets timed two minute responses.

The Biden team will have unlimited time to refute his "lies".

Biden will make a prerecorded opening and closing statement.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »

"Too?" Has he backed out of some other debate?

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
"Too?" Has he backed out of some other debate?

You could just make your point, if you have one, instead of asking silly questions.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
You could just make your point, if you have one, instead of asking silly questions.

You could blame the people that refused to hold the debate, instead of blaming the President.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »
You could blame the people that refused to hold the debate, instead of blaming the President.

You could "blame" the candidates/campaigns for not following the rules of the first debate.
You could "blame" whoever brought the coronavirus into the Whitehouse and got 30+ people infected.

I don't "blame" anyone for reacting to this series of events as they did. It doesn't seem like either campaign thought they really needed the debate scheduled for this week and I have no complaints about it not happening.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
You could "blame" the candidates/campaigns for not following the rules of the first debate.
You could "blame" whoever brought the coronavirus into the Whitehouse and got 30+ people infected.

I don't "blame" anyone for reacting to this series of events as they did. It doesn't seem like either campaign thought they really needed the debate scheduled for this week and I have no complaints about it not happening.

A slick answer, but why are you trying to suggest that Trump "backed out" of a debate?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:09:54 PM by fistful »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
It appears they are now having competing town halls this week on the same day and time. Trump on NBC, Biden on ABC. The ratings on each network might be one of the more accurate polls.  :laugh:

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
why are you trying to suggest that Trump "backed out" of a debate?

Because he backed out of the debate that was scheduled for tomorrow.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 09:26:25 AM »
Because he backed out of the debate that was scheduled for tomorrow.

So the never Trumpers (fake conservatives) can just change the format at will and Trump must go along?

The never Trumpers (fake republicans) are such losers (never win/conserve nothing) that I agree with Trump not giving them a platform to promote their leftist drivel.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »
So the never Trumpers (fake conservatives) can just change the format at will and Trump must go along?

The never Trumpers (fake republicans) are such losers (never win/conserve nothing) that I agree with Trump not giving them a platform to promote their leftist drivel.

Ok, so he had a good reason to back out. That doesn't change what happened.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 11:46:09 PM »
Sigh. He didn't back out. The Commission backed out; probably to protect Biden.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »
Sigh. He didn't back out. The Commission backed out; probably to protect Biden.

The Debate Commission and their debates have zero credibility, they are just an arm of the leftist media complex.

The presidential debates have been enemy territory for decades.  

This is just one of the reasons the term kuk became popular.

Advocating that your own guy/gal/side submit to the ritual humiliation of leftist sadists is the very essence of being a kuk, it's a sickness.

For decades Republicans have dutifully marched into slaughters designed by their enemies, laying down their arms without a fight "on principle".

Trump may not be the answer but he shows the way often.

Stop letting your enemy choose the battlefield.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
I'd consider the debate commission to be closer to fair when they start including people like Mark Levine and Sean Hannity as moderators.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams