Author Topic: "To Protect and Serve"  (Read 578 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
"To Protect and Serve"
« on: April 12, 2022, 11:37:07 AM »
Or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/12/santa-ana-police-disney-music/

A new police tactic to protect [themselves] when they don't want self-styled "auditors" to record them and post to Youtube is to play copyrighted music loudly so if the video gets posted on Youtube, Youtube will take it down due to the copyrighted content. Sneaky -- and scurrilous. I have a better idea for police officers -- learn the law, understand that in the performance of your duties you are NOT protected against being taped, and conduct yourselves properly. Act civilly and you won't have to worry about being the focus of a Youtube video.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: "To Protect and Serve"
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 11:48:10 AM »
It'd be nice to see a full civil suit through its conclusion, of an "auditor" having an interaction with a cop with copyright-claimed music, where a clear civil rights violation happens and is a news worthy and historically worthy situation.  Disney suing to have such a video removed, and the Youtuber in question taking it all the way to a civil jury trial. 

Scratchy, poorly mic'ed cartoon music is not the reason for the release of the video and I would love to see the argument put forward that the officer deliberately chose copyrighted music because he PREMEDITATED doing something that would be a civil rights violation, thus making the officer complicit in the violation, forfeiting his qualified immunity and actually making HIM the legitimate target for the copyright violation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:52:47 AM »
Interesting. Given Youtube's politics, Disney's politics, and the politics of most musicians, one would think they wouldn't be enforcing the copyright stuff when there was a chance to highlight potential LE malfeasance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:06:28 PM »
Interesting. Given Youtube's politics, Disney's politics, and the politics of most musicians, one would think they wouldn't be enforcing the copyright stuff when there was a chance to highlight potential LE malfeasance.
I imagine it's mostly based on automated detection routines.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
. . . A new police tactic to protect [themselves] when they don't want self-styled "auditors" to record them and post to Youtube is to play copyrighted music loudly so if the video gets posted on Youtube, Youtube will take it down due to the copyrighted content . . .
If a public official on duty is playing music loudly in public, might that not constitute an illegal public performance of a copyrighted work?

Doesn't ASCAP go after places like stores and restaurants that don't pony up license fees to play copyrighted music?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 10:20:46 PM »
The "progressive" notion that anyone who wants to be a police officer should be able to be one.  Thus the quality of candidates was lowered by dumbing down the testing, dumbing down the training,  dumbing down the physical qualification, mental ability, having no consideration given to size and who might just be the appropriate gender or size who is in uniform patrol.  Like just about everything in life, some folks are not not qualified for the job for a lot of good reasons.  There are many different and various chores in LE and some folks might be better doing one rather than the other, or not doing any of them.

Defective cops are a result of the defective social engineering that the dumbasses continually demand with the nonsense of DIE; Diversity, Inclusion and Equity.  The most important part of that SJW chant is missing....Quality.

There should be a high bar on who should become a police officer.  The selection should be narrow, the testing and training hard and ongoing, and the supervision should be close and done by only those who gained promotions because they were quality people.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 11:56:42 PM »
Or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/12/santa-ana-police-disney-music/

A new police tactic to protect [themselves] when they don't want self-styled "auditors" to record them and post to Youtube is to play copyrighted music loudly so if the video gets posted on Youtube, Youtube will take it down due to the copyrighted content. Sneaky -- and scurrilous. I have a better idea for police officers -- learn the law, understand that in the performance of your duties you are NOT protected against being taped, and conduct yourselves properly. Act civilly and you won't have to worry about being the focus of a Youtube video.

That would likely only work in a very small number of cases. Youtube doesn't usually do takedowns over copyrighted music anymore. They simply leave the video up and give all the ad revenue to the copyright holder instead.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »
That would likely only work in a very small number of cases. Youtube doesn't usually do takedowns over copyrighted music anymore. They simply leave the video up and give all the ad revenue to the copyright holder instead.
Some "auditors" make money off the ad revenue and lawsuits.  I am sure they don't like it regardless. 

I am curious just what percentage of people are recording them that they would have this sort of thing prepared?  Are some departments getting targeted by auditors for a reason?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge