Armed Polite Society
October 23, 2020, 01:41:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: R.I.P. Scout26

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snatch and grab the Michigan governor  (Read 675 times)
Angel Eyes
Lying dog-faced pony soldier
friend

You're not diggin'

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/michigan-bans-gun-open-carry-at-election-day-polling-places-after-whitmer-kidnap-plot.html

Michiganís secretary of state banned the open carry of guns at polling places and other official voting locations on Election Day in the state.

The move comes on the heels of arrests related to an alleged plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Fourteen men charged in the cases have ties to militia groups, officials say.

Would someone familiar with Michigan law please enlighten me: does the Secretary of State have that authority?
Report to moderator   Logged

"Individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts."
                      - Judge Roger T. Benitez, Duncan v. Becerra
AZRedhawk44
friends

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:35 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/michigan-bans-gun-open-carry-at-election-day-polling-places-after-whitmer-kidnap-plot.html

Would someone familiar with Michigan law please enlighten me: does the Secretary of State have that authority?

Pretty certain it's already illegal to carry in a polling place.  Making it double-secret-illegaler isn't going to change much.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!
WLJ
friends

Currently on patrol in the Epsilon Eridani System

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

Pretty certain it's already illegal to carry in a polling place.  Making it double-secret-illegaler isn't going to change much.

Like hate crime laws?
Already was/is illegal to beat someone up or murder them but for some reason it makes some people feel better to make it double illegal if race/gender/feelings are involved
Hawkmoon
friend

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 08:26:19 AM »

Like hate crime laws?
Already was/is illegal to beat someone up or murder them but for some reason it makes some people feel better to make it double illegal if race/gender/feelings are involved

Since we know that everything anybody does is being recorded by someone, somewhere, today, obviously this just means if/when you decide to beat the crap out of some idjit who roundly deserves it it's important to loudly state for the record -- several times -- that you are administering an equal opportunity beat-down and that you do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, gender orientation, race, color, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation, or phase of the moon.
Fly320s
friend

Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »

I wonder about that.  The specific voting rules are controlled by the state and the voting location will probably be in a city owned or state owned building.  The only thing the federal government does is require an election.

Based on that, I don't know how fedgov has the authority to ban guns in a polling place.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?
Fly320s
friend

Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 08:34:08 AM »

To add to my last post, NH does not prohibit carrying firearms into a polling place.

When I went to look for a federal restriction on guns in polling places, I found this piece of anti-gun drivel that says the state is responsible for controlling guns in polling places.  https://www.csgv.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CSGV-GunsAtThePolls-X.pdf

The NY Times agrees with the above PDF.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/23/us/elections/its-legal-to-bring-guns-to-polling-places-in-five-battleground-states-a-new-study-says.html

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: