Author Topic: ‘Constitutional Carry’ Passes Alabama House, Goes to State Senate  (Read 927 times)

MechAg94

• friend
‘Constitutional Carry’ Passes Alabama House, Goes to State Senate
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/02/constitutional-carry-passes-alabama-house-goes-to-state-senate/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

U.S.A. –-(AmmoLand.com)- “Constitutional Carry” is one step closer to becoming law in Alabama, following a 65-37 vote by the state House of Representatives, despite opposition from sheriffs, county commissioners and school resource officers.

Published reports say nine Republicans crossed the aisle to vote with 28 Democrats to vote against House Bill 272.

According to WHNT News, the bill must now be approved by the Alabama Senate before going to Republican Gov. Kay Ivey.

As noted by the Montgomery Advertiser, State Rep. Shane Stringer (R-Citronelle), suggested opponents of the measure who contend the permit requirement will help keep guns out of the wrong hands are mistaken.
“The fact of the matter is, criminals don’t obey laws,” Stringer observed. “A $20 plastic permit is not going to stop someone from committing a crime or doing wrong.”

I don't know much about Alabama politics.  Anyone know how likely this will be to get past their Senate?  Or if it has been this far before?
Either way, I hope it passes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Wouldn't that be the 22nd state? They should have gotten their act together,  and signed it into law on 2-22-22.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
It has never gotten this far before I think.   =D

The local sheriffs get to keep the money from permits for their slush funds, that is why they are so horrified by this bill.   ;/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
In Oklahoma a major objection to constitutional carry was laws of permit fees to OSBI.  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
It has never gotten this far before I think.   =D

The local sheriffs get to keep the money from permits for their slush funds, that is why they are so horrified by this bill.   ;/

I wonder how much they would actually lose. Are there any statistics from states that have already gone to "constitutional carry" showing how many permit holders keep their permits anyway, for reciprocity purposes or (in some states) to avoid the NICS check when buying a firearm?

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if ALL the states go to permitless carry. As long as the federal gun-free school zones law is on the books, I want a permit from every state I'm likely to be found in with a firearm.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
They're still jacking us around in Indiana. The state senate watered down our constitutional carry bill into something that isn't constitutional carry.

C'mon Alabama! Do it!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
I wonder how much they would actually lose. Are there any statistics from states that have already gone to "constitutional carry" showing how many permit holders keep their permits anyway, for reciprocity purposes or (in some states) to avoid the NICS check when buying a firearm?

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if ALL the states go to permitless carry. As long as the federal gun-free school zones law is on the books, I want a permit from every state I'm likely to be found in with a firearm.
Down here, they lowered the license to carry fee to $40 the previous legislative session.  However, that was always collected by the state police.  There wasn't a lot of uproar. 

The same argument might come if we attempt to outlaw civil asset forfeiture. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Indiana Senate Republicans gut constitutional carry. Pretty good read.

There are Republicans at the state level who are compromised much like at the national level.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/02/indiana-judiciary-committee-guts-constitutional-carry-bill/#axzz7MBcEBi8d
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
Georgia Senate Passes Constitutional Carry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPDB3hbpZwc
Guns & Gadgets

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Georgia Senate Passes Constitutional Carry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPDB3hbpZwc
Guns & Gadgets

Governor Adams will veto it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
I was not confident Gov Abbott in Texas would sign it either, but he surprisingly voiced his support for it.  He has signed every pro-gun bill sent to him.  That is why I will likely vote for him in the primary today despite a few misgivings. 

MechAg94

• friend
Alabama becomes the 22nd Constitutional Carry State
https://crimeresearch.org/2022/03/alabama-becomes-the-22nd-constitutional-carry-state/

Governor Kay Ivey on Thursday signed House Bill 272, known as the constitutional carry bill, into law, defending law abiding Alabamians’ Second Amendment rights.

“Unlike states who are doing everything in their power to make it harder for law abiding citizens, Alabama is reaffirming our commitment to defending our Second Amendment rights,” said Governor Ivey. “I have always stood up for the rights of law abiding gunowners, and I am proud to do that again today.”
    “Governor Ivey Defends Alabamians’ Second Amendment Rights, Signs Constitutional Carry Bill into Law,” Office of the Governor, State of Alabama, March 10, 2022.

Pb

• friend
 =)
But we have to wait for January for the law to take effect... ;/