Author Topic: ACB's confirmation hearings have begun...  (Read 9485 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: ACB's confirmation hearings have begun...
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »
I also get 403 forbidden.

"Link works for me."

Well aren't you special?  :rofl:

Why yes I am

anyway

Try this one
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-ww2-japanese-medics-field-1831961864
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »
that works. Interesting that it has both the Kana and the red cross. Belt and suspenders approach...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
that works. Interesting that it has both the Kana and the red cross. Belt and suspenders approach...

Yeah, wonder if that's an occupation period mod? Like I said, this may be turning into a rabbit hole
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »
Someone can see Senator Sarah Palin from her house...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
Where were these losers when they had complete control of House, Senate and Whitehouse?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2020, 11:29:36 PM »
Someone can see Senator Sarah Palin from her house...

:laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2020, 12:04:40 AM »
If Lindsey Graham, infamous for his reaching across the aisle betrayals, was able to find his Republican spine under Trump just about any other RINO should too.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
Patience young grasshopper.  The confirmation vote by the full Senate is supposed to be sometime this evening.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »
Patience young grasshopper.  The confirmation vote by the full Senate is supposed to be sometime this evening.

I know, just like the election I just want it over with.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »
Question: Assuming she is confirmed and sworn in -- or someone else, if something happens to derail ACB's confirmation -- what happens about staff? Did RBG's staff get their walking papers when she died? Supreme Court justices have clerks who do the grunt work of research for them. In fact, ACB clerked for Antonin Scalia, IIRC. So will she get to pick her own clerks, or is she stuck for some period of time with whoever RBG had clerking for her? Could a conservative, originalist justice trust any research done by clerks who were chosen by and who were presumably loyal to a liberal like RBG?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2020, 01:35:26 PM »
Can you imagine a liberal justice tolerating having clerks that previously worked for a conservative justice on their staff? I can't.
Maintaining holdovers from ostensibly "enemy" opposition would be a big mistake.
In my opinion one of the biggest mistakes Trump made when he took office was not immediately replacing every single Obama hold over that he was constitutionally able to replace. I think that would have come close to eliminating much of the early chaos in his administration. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Question: Assuming she is confirmed and sworn in -- or someone else, if something happens to derail ACB's confirmation -- what happens about staff? Did RBG's staff get their walking papers when she died? Supreme Court justices have clerks who do the grunt work of research for them. In fact, ACB clerked for Antonin Scalia, IIRC. So will she get to pick her own clerks, or is she stuck for some period of time with whoever RBG had clerking for her? Could a conservative, originalist justice trust any research done by clerks who were chosen by and who were presumably loyal to a liberal like RBG?

"For much of the history of the judiciary, federal judges carried out their duties with no administrative support staff. The Justices of the Supreme Court were authorized in 1886 to hire clerical assistants known as "stenographers." More than fifty years later, in 1938, Congress appropriated funds for "Miscellaneous salaries" and the hiring of similar staff by judges of the circuit and district courts (52 Stat. 268). Congress replaced the term "stenographer" with "secretary" two years later and in 1947, at the request of the Judicial Conference, authorized all circuit and district judges to appoint a secretary. The following year the authorization was changed to allow federal judges to appoint all "necessary" secretaries and law clerks. In 1959 the total number of these appointees was made subject to "any limitation on the aggregate salaries of such employees which may be imposed by law" (73 Stat. 452). The duties of the secretaries of federal judges, like those of judicial law clerks, have been defined by the individual judges for whom they have worked rather than by statute."

https://www.fjc.gov/history/administration/court-officers-and-staff-judges%C2%92-secretaries
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
Law clerks generally only serve a single term with a justice. I think there's only a handful who have served a second year.

A clerkship to a Justice is a stepping stone to a career with some of the top firms in the nation, and often brings a substantial signing bonus with it, on top of the salary, from what I'm reading.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »
    It is an insult to the American people that the GOP is ramming through a Supreme Court justice with just eight days until the end of an election in which nearly 60 million people have already voted.

— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) October 26, 2020

You’re just pissed it’s happening on your birthday…

But the rest of us absolutely LOVE it. 🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻

— Vincent Charles: FIDELIS AD IMPERIUM! (@YesThatVCharles) October 26, 2020
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/10/26/what-better-way-to-celebrate-your-birthday-tweeps-having-loads-of-fun-at-hillarys-expense-with-acbs-scotus-advancement/

:rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2020, 02:58:21 PM »
Law clerks generally only serve a single term with a justice. I think there's only a handful who have served a second year.

A clerkship to a Justice is a stepping stone to a career with some of the top firms in the nation, and often brings a substantial signing bonus with it, on top of the salary, from what I'm reading.

Understood.

The SCOTUS is in the middle of a term. Assuming ACB is confirmed and sworn in, she should begin work by the middle or the end of November. Will she be stuck with RGB's staff and clerk(s), or will she be allowed to clean house and choose her own staff?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
I can't find anything definitive, but I believe that their tenure ends unless the new justice agrees to keep them on.

The law clerks aren't hired by the court, they're hired by the Justice.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2020, 04:53:35 PM »
Anyone know when they’re supposed to hold the final vote to confirm ACB?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
Chucky going on about the far right
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »
Now McConnell is rambling on after asking permission from the chair to go into the time originally set aside for the confirmation vote.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »
On a live feed there's a group of black women giving anti ACB protesters hell like only a black woman can. Holy moly they're going off
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes