Author Topic: Not bad for a toss-together soup...  (Read 2272 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Not bad for a toss-together soup...
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:05:55 AM »
2 quarts chicken stock
1 large onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
Garlic. Lots of garlic
1 large bunch of kale, center rib removed and torn
1/2 medium head of cabbage, sliced finely
2 cans white beans
1 pound of sausage (I used chicken sausage, sweet italian style)
8 ounces or so country ham trimmings, chopped
Herbs and spices

Throw the ham and stock in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add black pepper, 2 bay leaves, and anything else you want.

Sweat the onion and celery over low heat until translucent.

Increase the heat to medium and add the garlic and kale and stir until the kale is well wilted.

Add to stock along with the cabbage.

Simmer for at least an hour.

Cut the sausage into medallions and brown in a hot pan. Add to stock.

Rinse 2 cans of white beans and add to the soup.

Adjust the spices and seasoning, as needed, and simmer for another 45 minutes to an hour.

Ladle into a bowl and dress with several squirts of either lemon juice or balsamic vinegar.

Best served with a crusty rye or sourdough bread.

Very nice dinner on a damp, rainy night.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:37:12 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: Not bad for a toss-together soup...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, sounds really good.  We're in the middle of making bratwurst, think it would work as sub for the Italian chicken?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 06:59:44 AM »
Any kind of sausage will work for a soup like this. I used the sweet italian chicken sausage because it needed to be used, otherwise I would have dipped into my supply of Carolina Dry pork sausage. I'm betting that it would be extra good with a spicy Andouille or Chorizo.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:28:04 AM »
I'm doing up a batch of chorizo,  will have to try. My problem is,  I either just eat the chorizo or it ends up chori pollo.  Love me some chori pollo quesadillas or burritos.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 07:04:20 AM »
Let me know how it turns out.

I'm having more for dinner tonight. I suspect that after sitting for a couple of days it's even better.

I forgot to mention that I added some dried basil near the end as a find bump to the flavor profile. It worked well with the Italian sausage. For Chorizo I might do oregano instead.

Some Thyme and Marjoram might also be good choices.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 08:54:40 PM »
Let me know how it turns out.

I'm having more for dinner tonight. I suspect that after sitting for a couple of days it's even better.

I forgot to mention that I added some dried basil near the end as a find bump to the flavor profile. It worked well with the Italian sausage. For Chorizo I might do oregano instead.

Some Thyme and Marjoram might also be good choices.

Will do.

Agreed on the basil, perfect for Italian but the sweet probably wouldn't compliment chorizo. 

Thyme, marjoram and paprika are my Hungarian wife's holy trinity of spices  :cool:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
I do a similar cabbage and sausage soup with potatoes that's also quite good.

It's actually very similar to this recipe but I don't use smoked sausage and I use beef stock.

https://germanculture.com.ua/main-dishes/smoked-sausage-and-cabbage-stew/

Also works well with sauerkraut.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 09:30:58 AM »
I forgot to mention that for last night's version I sprinkled in some instant potato flakes to thicken it up into a more stew like consistency. It worked nicely.