Author Topic: Hey Sous Vide people...  (Read 2036 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Hey Sous Vide people...
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:18:45 AM »
It's Amazon Prime Day and I came across a well-rated SV stick...

https://www.amazon.com/Immersion-Circulator-Precision-Thermometer-beautiful/dp/B07HY2K9XX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sous+vide&psr=PDAY&qid=1602587565&s=prime-day&sr=1-3

Seems as if it would be a good entry unit for me. I really don't feel like spending $90-$150 for one of the top rated SV sticks.

They show it used in a stainless pot. That seems to me that it wouldn't be that good for longer cooks because of the heat loss.

Do you use one of the plastic containers for your Sous Vide? Do you use any kind of cover?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Hey Sous Vide people...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:03:10 AM »
My Instant Pot has a sous vide function but I haven't even explored recipes yet.

Just thought I'd mention that in the event you were thinking about getting an IP at some point.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »
I bought this  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R8JOUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MXRV2K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although I have certainly also done sous vide in an uncovered stainless steel stockpot, and I suspect the heat loss was not significant.  It certainly did not change the results.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
My Instant Pot has a sous vide function but I haven't even explored recipes yet.

Just thought I'd mention that in the event you were thinking about getting an IP at some point.

Not really, no. I have a pressure cooker, which I like very much.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
And this was meant to be in Mess Hall, not here. Sigh.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
And, it looks as if I waited too long. Looks like it's out of stock.

Sigh.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Type 'sous vide' into the Prime Day Deals address bar of Amazon, and you will see a number of sous vide units still available for Prime Day.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »
"Type 'sous vide' into the Prime Day Deals address bar of Amazon, and you will see a number of sous vide units still available for Prime Day."

How do you think I found the first one?

MAGIC!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »
Ordered it. Even better, I had $15 in gift cards from a couple of surveys I participated in.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Back to the stainless steel stock pot, I use a large one for my SV cooking and don't have heat loss but the water will evaporate over time so I cover it with saran wrap to keep the evaporation down.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
OK, that's good to know about the stock pot not really being a big issue. I'll hold off on investing in a container. I have several stock pots/dutch ovens that will likely be good candidates for use. I figured I'd cover it with either foil or a flexible cutting mat to cut down on the evaporation.

Amazon also has food grade... essentially ping pong balls... that you pour into the water. and it forms both an insulator and a seal. Overkill if you ask me.

I think the first thing I'm going to try is sous vide brussels sprouts with butter and balsamic vinegar.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
OK, the unit is being delivered Friday, a day early (supposedly).

I think my first test run is going to be Brussels sprouts, specifically this recipe...

https://under500calories.com/recipe/129bf-sous-vide-1-hour-brussel-sprouts-with-bacon-and-garlic

But... the recipe page isn't there to tell me how long and at what temp to cook it. OK, I'll improvise. There's another recipe that looks good, but it takes a cup of butter. No way.

I may give shrimp a try, as well.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »

But... the recipe page isn't there to tell me how long and at what temp to cook it. OK, I'll improvise. There's another recipe that looks good, but it takes a cup of butter. No way.

I may give shrimp a try, as well.

you could always just double it or add to taste  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 09:39:41 AM »
Just got notification that the SV machine has been delivered. Of course I had just plopped down at the office, so I texted my neighbors to grab it just in case it decided to walk off.

Going to play around with it this evening, but probably won't really make anything yet.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »

But... the recipe page isn't there to tell me how long and at what temp to cook it.

183 for 50 minutes.

http://www.sousvidelife.com/sous-vide-1-hour-brussels-recipe/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
Nice. Thanks.

I was figuring 185 for 1 hour based on other instructions I've seen for cooking sprouts.

And that reminds me... I need to get thick cut bacon...

I bet they would rock with just some balsamic vinegar, as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 02:31:47 PM »
Well I'll be.

You can make sous vide grits and oatmeal.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 07:44:12 PM »
But I was told I couldn't sous vide people. Anymore.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
But I was told I couldn't sous vide people. Anymore.  ???

Just because something is a law in your jurisdiction you shouldn't assume it is the law everywhere.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:07 PM »
Just because something is a law in your jurisdiction you shouldn't assume it is the law everywhere.

Mike does live in a very progressive area.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 07:17:38 AM »
Sous vide machine or sex toy?

It better be the former and not the latter, Amazon...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 07:40:38 AM »
Sous vide machine or sex toy?

It better be the former and not the latter, Amazon...

Either way, you're cooking for one.   [ar15] :rofl:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 07:50:20 AM »
Ok, that made me laugh!