Author Topic: Product review - Shooting glasses  (Read 739 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Product review - Shooting glasses
« on: October 11, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
My aging eyes have of late been letting me down with iron sights. Really only been the last year or so that it has been an issue even though it's been almost 10 years since I had Lasik to correct for nearsightedness. My distance vision is still good but the near vision has been slowly creeping farther and farther away. One of the best benefits of the Lasik was being able to see sights and targets in focus at the same time with only protective shooting glasses.

Saw these (or similar) mentioned in a thread on another gun forum and decided to give them a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZ2R6M6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the 1X version and they worked pretty good but I had enough distortion that it was noticeable when walking around. I was able to get a solid sight picture with my officer sized Rock Island 1911 and still be able to see the target markings on an IDPA target at 10-15 yards.
I think I will order another set in either .5X or .75X, at <$16 it's worth it to me try. 
I've tried shooting with my standard 2X drug store readers but while I can see the sight just fine the target is lost. I have several pairs of safety glasses with "reader" inserts but they just don't work for shooting.
These seem to be something that will work for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Product review - Shooting glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:17:06 AM »
Loss of near vision is one of the reasons I have started to use red dot sights on my pistols.  I can still shoot iron sights well enough, but the RDS just makes it so much easier.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
I've tried various styles of red dots, but with my astigmatism I don't see a red dot...

I see a red smeared fuzzy tennis ball.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
I've tried various styles of red dots, but with my astigmatism I don't see a red dot...

I see a red smeared fuzzy tennis ball.

Maybe useful on a  shotgun ... :facepalm: [tinfoil]   :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
I had LASIK 12.5 years ago. It's been great for distance vision and I knew I would need readers up close. (I'm up to 1.5x now.) Iron sights are getting a little more difficult without correction but not embarrassingly so yet. I've considered the bifocal shooting glasses with the bifocal on top.
Shotgun, scopes, and RDS are no problem.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »
I have been losing my near vision slowly since I crossed 40.  I haven't needed reading glasses yet, but they are in my future.  I can still see normal sights okay, but the fiber optic sights and bright red/green dots on many of the night sights are so much easier to use.  The bright color pops in my vision and I don't have to make so much of an effort to focus on the front sight. 

I haven't used pistol red dots a whole lot.  Maybe that is next. 

I will have to try those safety glasses.  I am always scratching mine so I get new ones periodically. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »

I haven't used pistol red dots a whole lot.  Maybe that is next. 

I got my first pistol RDR (GDR actually) not long ago. I am having a surprisingly difficult time getting used to it. No problem with RDRs on my rifles, but the suppressor height sights on my FNX45 are still easier for me to acquire than the green dot. The dot is absolutely brighter and easier to track once  I acquire it, but I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet, re: quick acquisition. I realize it's just practice, but it was surprising to find it difficult for me compared to the rifle RDRs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
This is a great reminder to me that I haven't put rounds down range with my combat commander since I got new bifocals two months ago.

I know what I will be doing tomorrow.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG