Author Topic: Ba Da Boom... BIG Ba Da Boom!  (Read 1853 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Ba Da Boom... BIG Ba Da Boom!
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
The Poles found an unexploded British Tallboy Bomb in one of its main shipping canals. They attempted to disarm it by deflagrating the explosive charge (basically setting fire to it in a controlled manner).

Didn't work.

Result was a big boom...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54522203

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Ba Da Boom... BIG Ba Da Boom!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
No video?  In this modern age?  That's just sad.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »
Seems like a really good time to be using an ROV.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »
But it's so pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfR5UBp-TM

Brad

How many fishes were harmed in the making of that video?   ;)

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
"No boom today.  Boom tomorrow."

Correction:  boom today.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
<Insert Polish joke here>

Oh wait, its 2020.  Nevermind.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:09:09 PM »
GET THE NET! Free, floating fish, for days:O
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
Not as big a splash as I thought there would be although they may have partially burned out the Torpex filling prior to the rest of it detonating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
There's a lot of UXO in watercourses all over Europe.

Yet people still do magnet fishing in canals and ponds and so forth. They're looking for stuff to sell for scrap or even stumbling onto something that's salable as a collectable.

And some do it to find guns they hope can be restored to functionality.

And some do it just for the lulz.

One story out of Germany, IIRC, was that this pair of magnet fishers kept finding explodey-bits and pulling them out of the water and then calling the local cops/fire to deal with the item and filming the incident. The cops finally told them to knock it off. From the cops standpoint they'd rather there be potentially live ordnance in the water than risking a bad result in deactivating stuff that's been brought out of the water.

So yeah, don't go messing around with that stuff.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 12:56:18 PM »
"There's a lot of UXO in watercourses all over Europe."

There's a ton of UXO all over Europe, not just waterways. In the countryside. In the middle of cities. Peoples gardens. Hell, there was a story some years ago about a woman in Russia who was having her house repaired and the repair guy found an unexploded bomb under the floorboards. Oh yeah, she said. That came through the roof and floor. My Father just repaired everything and we forgot about it.

On the magnet fishing, this morning I was watching a video of a guy magnet fishing in Germany in a fen (it was tagged as a related video when I was watching the Tallboy in the canal go boom). He dragged up an empty 20mm shell, an empty 37mm shell, a live 7.92 rifle round, and the magazine body for a Flak 38 20mm gun, probably from the same gun that fired the empty 20mm shell he found.

The whole time I was thinking... He's going to latch onto something that's going to take his head off...

Speaking of UXO, there are still significant portions of the French countryside, especially in the Verdun area, that are off limits -- from World War I -- due to the staggering numbers of UXO underground and the huge toxicity of the soil, water, and plants from all of the heavy metals and chemicals. The French dept. of the Interior group that works to clear UXOs figures it will be centuries before those areas are recoverable... if at all.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »
Yeah, despite the fact that in reality there is a finite amount of UXO it is essentially an infinite amount because of the rate it is found and disposed of.

And people and animals are always going to be stumbling upon it.

Many years ago in a magazine there was a short account I read of a French farmwife who step out on her porch to call her husband to lunch just as he on his tractor plowed up an aerial bomb which then went off and that was the end of him.

And this was in the 80's in a field that had been cultivated for decades after the war so you might think the bomb would have been found by then, but no. It was always there and as things do, it somehow worked it's way into a position to be exposed.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
"And this was in the 80's in a field that had been cultivated for decades after the war so you might think the bomb would have been found by then, but no. It was always there and as things do, it somehow worked it's way into a position to be exposed."

Google Iron Harvest.

Couple hundred tons of ordnance turn up every year, a lot of it in areas that have previously been declared "clean."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »
It's still an occasional problem in the U.S. with civil war shells.

https://wynninghistory.com/2017/10/05/deadly-souvenirs/

But soon after a battle:
Explosion of a Shell – Henry Burrier, a German living in Bentz Street, above Second, visited the recent battlefields last week, and brought away three unexploded spherical shells. Upon examining them on his return home, he discovered that they were surrounded by rims of lead (which confined the charge of powder in the shell) and the wise conceit entered his head, to put the shells in the stove and melt the lead off. No sooner had he it upon this economical idea, than he placed them in the stove and went about his business, expecting to find the lead melted off upon his return.

Uh-huh...

And to this day, these shells continue to startle local residents and require the expertise of bomb squad technicians.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:23:06 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
About 10 or so years ago a guy who had a long history of disarming shells found in Virginia was killed when one he was loading into his drilling rig exploded.

The rig was basically a large drill with a drive that would slowly advance the bit that would cut into the shell. The whole thing was attached to a garden hose that would flood the shell to keep heat and sparks to a minimum. He'd apparently done several hundred shells that way.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
The fun way to get rid of old ammo through all 3:14 of it.

LINGO NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67oj92maC0 (3:14)

Judging from some of the ricochets, it's hard to get too far away.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »
And Fifth Element was on last night...

Multipass!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 12:56:31 AM »
And Fifth Element was on last night...

Multipass!

He KNOWS it's a multipass....

And I dont care what people say- Chris Tucker was so over the top it came around back to hilarious.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »
And Fifth Element was on AGAIN last night!

Multi Multipass!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »
GARDEN ROCKS AND UXOs?

I thought I had seen references to the freeze-thaw cycle bringing rocks to the surface of the soil.

So perhaps this:

https://www.indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/how-rocks-appear-your-garden.php

might explain this:

(JustWarren)And this was in the 80's in a field that had been cultivated for decades after the war so you might think the bomb would have been found by then, but no. It was always there and as things do, it somehow worked its way into a position to be exposed.

...and this:

(Irwin) Couple hundred tons of ordnance turn up every year, a lot of it in areas that have previously been declared "clean."

Just a thought about the possible mechanism involved in exposing UXOs over the decades.

I originally came across the concept some years ago while exploring the "Walking Rocks" or "Sailing Stones" phenomenon in some desert areas:

Truly, water and ice can do some spooky stuff.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=desert+walking+rocks&t=h_&ia=web

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
And Fifth Element was on AGAIN last night!

Multi Multipass!

I am a meat popsicle.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
Anybody else wanna negotiate?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »

And this was in the 80's in a field that had been cultivated for decades after the war so you might think the bomb would have been found by then, but no. It was always there and as things do, it somehow worked it's way into a position to be exposed.

soil isn't static.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
soil isn't static.

Depends on whether or not you're stuck in it.

Brad
-HankB

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 11:32:04 AM »
Aha !  Sounds like a movie I'd like to see.

https://www.thegamer.com/secrets-you-didnt-know-about-the-fifth-element/

Big Bada Boom

If you thought the explosion at the end of Korben and Leeloo’s visit to Fhloston was impressive, well, you would be right. That is because the explosion was the largest one ever filmed indoor at the time. Sure, there had been bigger ones filmed for other movies, but those were all outdoor. The explosion at Fhloston was entirely filmed on set in a studio, something which had never been attempted on that scale. The very real explosives looked great on camera, but they caused a fire which nearly got out of control. The smoke from that fire was such that it forced the evacuation of the entire building. So it was totally reckless, and probably more than a little insane, but it made for one memorable big bada boom.