Author Topic: Jogger needs a new pair of drawers  (Read 909 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Jogger needs a new pair of drawers
« on: October 13, 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
And a cardiologist appointment too!!

Jogger comes across a mountain lion with young. Is stalked / chased for 6 minutes.

I find this really intense.  At one point he realized he should have brought his gun.

Damn straight skippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL7pMX3Re2A&feature=share

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
Re: Jogger needs a new pair of drawers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 12:03:51 AM »
Damn lucky dude--had she gotten him imagine the views!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
My first thought was pick up some big rocks.

I read in an article that crouching down around big cats is seen as an act of aggression, so I guess the time to grab a rock is when it's as far away as possible. 

This would be a case where if he had a firearm, a warning shot in the dirt in front of her might have shortened the length of the interaction.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »
Jogging where things live who will eat you is never a good idea. :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »
It was said that in the beginning of the video that a cub was visible darting into the woods, and the cougar was just possibly driving the jogger away.

But yeah, I'd have been chucking rocks a lot sooner myself as well.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »

I read in an article that crouching down around big cats is seen as an act of aggression, so I guess the time to grab a rock is when it's as far away as possible. 

This would be a case where if he had a firearm, a warning shot in the dirt in front of her might have shortened the length of the interaction.

I would of started backing up as soon as I saw the kittens, then rocks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »

I thought about that too. Picking up a rock would have likely led to a charge that didn't stop.

I had a similar incident with a mama black bear a few decades ago. I was backpacking by myself in Sequoia and there were tons of bears out at that time. Rocks and shouting scared them all off as they usually do. Except for one. I saw a bear sitting maybe 30' off the trail and it wouldn't go no matter what I did. I (maybe stupidly) decided to just continue on figuring the bear would sit there. It (she) didn't. She charged me and you've never seen a guy run backwards so fast in your life. She stopped after maybe 50' and just started doing aggressive display at that point. Which was also the point where I finally caught that at the opposite side of the trail, up in a tree, were two cubs. I had walked right between her and them.

Because of the terrain, there were no easy ways around them other than back where I was coming from. I ended up scootching my ass down a semi-cliff to the creek below, and wading for a good 1/4 mile until I found a place to climb back on to the trail.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
Yeah, approaching baby animals in the wild is not safe.  Then again, maybe it didn't like being called a kitty cat.  It sure seemed to follow up a fair distance.  

I was wondering how hard it would be to carry a walking stick jogging.  Something to help keep it out of claw range.  A gun would be easier to carry.  Maybe a big knife also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »
At some point, would he have gotten scared enough to put away the phone?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:32:47 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
I was wondering how hard it would be to carry a walking stick jogging.  Something to help keep it out of claw range.  A gun would be easier to carry.  Maybe a big knife also.

Carrying a walking stick while running would be incredibly burdensome. A knife might be better than bare hands, but I think the old saw, "There's no winners in a knife fight" doubly applies when dealing with a mountain lion (or even a cougar).

The guy mentions that he wishes he had his gun. That would certainly have been the best option.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
Would bear spray deter a big cat?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
Could I distract a cougar with the laser sight on my M17?  Would it chase the green dot?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »

Yes
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »

It might shoot you.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!