Author Topic: Oh sweet Jeebus... It's never going to end...  (Read 980 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh sweet Jeebus... It's never going to end...
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
Apparently more companies have said that they now won't even consider opening their offices until at least July of next year...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/july-replaces-january-as-target-for-office-reopenings-from-covid-19
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Oh sweet Jeebus... It's never going to end...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:18:19 PM »
Well,  that's pretty optimistic,  since I heard one estimate that the covid19 virus will be running rampant until the year 2087.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 12:28:15 AM »
It'll (probably) all be forgotten about mid-November, or whenever they've decided to call the election results.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
The local leaders need to drag management of said offices back into physical work kicking and screaming. If companies get all their work done remotely for over a year there will be no fiscal reason to keep paying for Manhattan or Crystal City floor space. The wealthiest zip codes in the country will implode. Meanwhile here’s me in Appalachistan.  [popcorn] [popcorn] =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:03:48 AM »
After Trump wins again, I'd like to see him use the virus to do a whole reevaluation of superfluous fed.gov employees and offices. I still talk to a few people from my old job, where like 80% of staff have been on fulltime telecommuting since this started. They tell me a bunch of people who simply don't have anything to do via teleworking, are getting paid to do zero work, with no real monitoring. A bunch of people are taking vacations all over the place while collecting their salaries.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
It seems reasonable to expect that companies most afraid to re-open will be hamstringing themselves, and the less timid companies will grow.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »
Back in the 80's when my folks spent winters in southern Texas, my dad told me about another retiree from the .fed gov bureaucracy.  He told my dad that his job required him to do nothing.  Most days he sat around reading books while he made very good money.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
The epidemic will end as soon as a Democrat is elected president.

Everyone knows this.   ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
I think it depends on how companies measure productivity.  I hear a lot of people say they get more done at home.  I figure my company will do more aggressive telecommuting once we get back to normal.  My company owns their headquarters building and already lease out part of it.  If they can cut the number of desks in half, that means more floors can be leased to someone else.  Maybe employees can spend one day a week in the office or work out a schedule so the boss has periodic face to face contact with everyone.  Nobody likes driving in Houston traffic.  One older engineer I talked to spends all his day in online meetings so the main difference now is he doesn't drive 2 hours a day.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:36 AM »
I think it depends on how companies measure productivity.  I hear a lot of people say they get more done at home. 

I will certainly say that when I had telecommuting days, I got a LOT more done at home, without being bothered every 15 minutes. Same reason I used to often get to work at 0500, to have a few hours to get crap done that I needed to concentrate on.

Not everyone has the discipline for telework though. If a company (or gov) has a good system in place to check on productivity, you can nip that stuff in the bud. However there are a lot of jobs (not just blue collar) that are simply not amenable to telework, and a lot of jobs that are simply not necessary to have at all. When people with the latter type of job are in the office, they can make themselves look busy or useful. Not so when they telework.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
Unfortunately my job can't be done at home. It has to be done in a secured facility.

Even if I were to work at home part or full time I'd still have to put Seren in daycare. Otherwise I wouldn't get much done.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 02:50:02 PM »
I wish I could provision and cross connect that 100 gig ethernet circuit I worked on this morning from my desk at home.
But no, I have to physically work in 4 different rooms on 3 different floors. It's just so unfair.
 :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »
My last year with the company was spent working from home. As a programmer, it was quite easy to do.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:10 PM »
I wish I could provision and cross connect that 100 gig ethernet circuit I worked on this morning from my desk at home.
But no, I have to physically work in 4 different rooms on 3 different floors. It's just so unfair.
 :rofl:

It ain't easy bein' essential.

And are you the black woman Joe Biden told us about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 06:16:20 AM »
One thing I do miss. That all to brief period when all the nonessentials were staying home
Nonessentials can't drive for *expletive deleted*it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams