Author Topic: Ooctober 14th, 1947. Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.  (Read 1220 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Ooctober 14th, 1947. Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »
Did anyone ever manage to repair the sound barrier? ? ? ? [tinfoil] [popcorn] :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »
His autobiography is a good read.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »
His autobiography is a good read.

Brad

Oh yeah!  I remember a section where he had a friend calculate his actuarial life span.  The friend said his numbers shown he died 2 years previous.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
I met Chuck Yeager almost 20 years ago during AirVenture.  I had been wandering around the warbirds area when two P-51s taxied up.  My jaw dropped when Chuck Yeager climbed out of one and Bud Anderson crawled out of the other.  I got Yeager’s autograph and watched him autograph the back of a boy’s t-shirt.  When the boy walked away, I noticed Yeager had written “Kick me” on the boy’s back!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
I got Yeager’s autograph and watched him autograph the back of a boy’s t-shirt.  When the boy walked away, I noticed Yeager had written “Kick me” on the boy’s back!

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 01:11:15 PM »
I got to meet and shake his hand at either a Blue Angels or a Thunderbirds show in the late 70's.  My dad was an Air Force Recruiter and being his son had a few behind the scenes perks.  Yeager was and is such a cool dude.  Also met Pappy Boyington that same summer--not so nice

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
I got to meet and shake his hand at either a Blue Angels or a Thunderbirds show in the late 70's.  My dad was an Air Force Recruiter and being his son had a few behind the scenes perks.  Yeager was and is such a cool dude.  Also met Pappy Boyington that same summer--not so nice

That's interesting about Pappy Boyington.  I met him a couple of times at airshows in Arizona when I was with the CAF.  He was very friendly to me, having brief conversations with him both times.  On the first occasion I bought a copy of his autobiography from him and he was nice enough to autograph it.
This was in the mid-eighties.  I wonder if he was still struggling with alcohol when you met him in the 70's.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:01:25 PM »
Possibly it was alcohol related.  I was unaware of it at the time of course being a preteen.  This was just after Black Sheep was on TV so maybe there was just some publicity fatigue.  Most likely is I was an obnoxious fan boy. 

I didn't intend disrespect for the man or his accomplishments.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
Yeager breaking the sound barrier isn't really near the most impressive or sketchiest thing he did as a test pilot. For me discovering the concept of ground effect by hauling ass 10 ft above the desert floor and realizing he can't push the aircraft down to the ground. Who does that?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.