Author Topic: Time to Drop the Hammer on Section 230 for Social Media  (Read 2236 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Time to Drop the Hammer on Section 230 for Social Media
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
Editing is more than just changing a post, it's also deciding what gets seen and what doesn't.
Changing a post, if significant enough, could get them in trouble.
However, one of the main points of section 230 is that content moderation (deciding what gets seen and what doesn't) does not open up a provider to liability.

Courts have held that Section 230 prevents you from being held liable even if you exercise the usual prerogative of publishers to edit the material you publish. You may also delete entire posts. However, you may still be held responsible for information you provide in commentary or through editing. For example, if you edit the statement, "Fred is not a criminal" to remove the word "not," a court might find that you have sufficiently contributed to the content to take it as your own. Likewise, if you link to an article, but provide a defamatory comment with the link, you may not qualify for the immunity.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »
I think a case could be made that in blocking an article and calling it untrue, (or calling into question it's veracity) constitutes "link to an article, but provide a defamatory comment with the link,".  But I tend to agree that section 230 isn't going to save us here.

Anti-trust laws are probably our best bet, or designating them a utility,  or a combination of the two.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 05:31:10 PM »
Slight tangent, but even some liberals understand that what is happening is bad, even if it's happening to people they disagree with. Super pleasantly surprised to see this by Sean Lennon, especially given his background growing up. This isn't the first thing that he has made logical and cogent arguments against stuff you might think he was for. Nice to see an open mind.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/10/16/scary-to-think-about-sean-ono-lennon-says-collusion-between-social-media-and-media-to-manipulate-our-reality-puts-stalins-machine-to-shame/

He's spot on where he mentions all this is artificial selection over generations for personality traits that prevent cultural cohesiveness and thus deny them the possibility of stable independent existence.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
Slight tangent, but even some liberals understand that what is happening is bad, even if it's happening to people they disagree with. Super pleasantly surprised to see this by Sean Lennon, especially given his background growing up. This isn't the first thing that he has made logical and cogent arguments against stuff you might think he was for. Nice to see an open mind.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/10/16/scary-to-think-about-sean-ono-lennon-says-collusion-between-social-media-and-media-to-manipulate-our-reality-puts-stalins-machine-to-shame/

One of the replies:

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Now Facebook went after the Babylon Bee for saying Mazie Hirono wanted to weigh ACB and a duck to see if ACB is a witch. Apparently "violent" content and they want to demonetize the BB as well.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/10/20/this-is-insane-facebook-is-punishing-the-babylon-bee-for-incitement-to-violence-over-satirical-and-harmless-article-about-mazie-hirono/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."